Moon story

  • Brenda Culbertson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7, 2008
      Manoj Pai,

      You come up with some of the most clever stories....

      Here is a Moon story that happened to me (not a UFO story):

      One night while I was running the observatory a woman came to me and
      asked me to show her the old part of the Moon. It was near Full phase,
      so pretty much all of the face could be seen, but I did not know what
      she referred to. I asked if she wanted to see the older mountain range.
      "No. I want to see the part that is older than the rest of it," was her
      response. I still did not know what she meant. I asked if she wanted to
      see the older craters. Same response. I asked her why she thought that
      one part was older than the rest, and she said that one of the
      professors at the university told the class that one part of the Moon
      was older than the rest, and if I couldn't show it to her then I didn't
      know what I was talking about.

      Am I missing something here? I have never heard that one part of the
      Moon was older than the rest of it.

      After the woman grumbled and stormed out, I must have had a stupified
      look on my face, because all of my helpers finally quit holding their
      breath and started laughing.

      I'm collecting stories of odd, funny, strange questions and events that
      occurred while observing. I think that they would be fun to share with
      people.

      BC
    • Manoj Pai
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 7, 2008
        To cut a long story short, it appears like you forgot about the "New Moon" part.

        Manoj

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 7, 2008
          I would have said pick a spot any spot!! Or had she insisted I would have found something interesting to look at and shown her that....and bin done with it...NEXT!!!??!?? WILLIAMS PARTY OF 6???

          > To cut a long story short, it appears like you forgot about the
          > "New Moon" part.
          >
          > Manoj
          >

          > --- On Mon, 7/7/08, Brenda Culbertson <stargazr@...>
          > wrote:From: Brenda Culbertson <stargazr@...>
          > Subject: astroclubs Moon story
          > To: ACATW@yahoogroups.com
          > Here is a Moon story that happened to me (not a UFO story):
          >

          > "No. I want to see the part that is older than the rest of it,"
          > was her
          >
          > response. I still did not know what she meant. I asked if she
          > wanted to
          >
          > see the older craters.

        • Matthew Ota
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 14, 2008
            Best time to do this is shortly after New Moon, when the "Old Moon is
            in the New Moon's Arms". To us scientist types, this is when
            Earthshine is most prominent of the night side of the Moon. It is seen
            right after sunset. See this photo: