Observing

  • Brenda Culbertson
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 13, 2002
      Hi all!

      Last night some of the city folks went with me to a dark site area for
      some observing. Not many people came out because skies were in the
      process of clearing from a cold front coming in. Although the clouds
      were there, we still got together and looked through the holes at a few
      things. One comment made was that even though it was cloudy, more stars
      could be seen there than from downtown.

      We talked a while, laughed a while, and drank hot apple cider provided
      by our youngest member of the group (a Boy Scout). That was nice. We
      don't always find time to just get away and relax with comrades. I think
      that is an important thing we should do from time to time. I feel much
      more relaxed now, even though we had our first frost last night, too. We
      tend to get so caught up in research, public talks, classes, and
      political stuff, we sometimes forget to laugh. Astronomy can still be
      fun if we allow ourselves the time to do it. Even for a couple of hours.

      I think it's difficult sometimes to find other people who can see
      astronomy as a fun thing. Most think it is a science, and that science
      is hard. Once you find a group you click with, though, laughter can't
      help but come rolling out. I'm sure everyone knows what I mean. And we
      all have been involved in times when something hilarious has been said
      or done, and the night livens up.

      Last night was very fun for the few of us to bundled up and ventured out
      into the frosty air. We saw Moondogs, too. So, of course, everyone
      started singing Beachboy songs. You can imagine.

      Anyway, it was cool in more ways than one.

      BC
    • Brenda Culbertson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 30, 2008
        Hi, Joe.

        I've been all over the USA. Wisconsin? I was interviewed at Astronomy
        Magazine for an editor position once a few (many, actually) years back.
        If you work or them, then maybe that's where. Other than that, who
        knows? I'm also with the Aurora Watch Team egroup and write for many
        publications. As for a personal meet, I doubt it unless you attended NSP
        or one of the other star parties where I presented. If you have more
        questions for me, please contact me directly.

        All,
        Speaking of star parties, the "local group" enjoyed getting together so
        much at my house that we are thinking of forming a non-club
        organization. We set up scopes at coffee shops in the area and invite
        the public almost monthly. With gasoline/diesel prices so high here, we
        aren't going to go too far this summer. If any of you are planning a
        mini-star party like I had, please let me know if you have some ideas
        for things to do on a small scale. We just hung out and put our eyes to
        the telescopes. I enjoy that, but some people like a little more to do.

        BC