Eclipse Photos

  • txskywatcher
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 17, 2001
      I just got back from a little trip in the RV. I am burning some
      vacation time. HR said use it or loose it, so I will only be working
      about 11 days this month. I headed up to Copper Breaks State park
      (north central TX) for some new moon viewing and the eclipse. I had
      quite a fire drill setting up for the eclipse. I forgot to reset my
      planetarium program for Central Standard time, and it was 3:15 when I
      started setting up scopes anticiating a leisurely pace. I happened to
      glance up with my welders glass to find the show had already started.
      I had tripods, scopes, cameras and cords flying. And the only good
      pictures I got were throught the LX-90 with my digital camera.
      I did manage somehow to land a few good shots amid the bungling. The
      sunspot activity was a nice plus.
      The pics are in the photo file under "Charlie pix"

      That evening (Friday) I also had nice clear skies until about 3:00
      am, when the serious clouds moved in. Got some great views of faint
      fuzzies -NGC 891,936,1068 (nice) and 1300 (best) (some nice dust
      lanes with minor averted imagination). Also caught some good meteor
      activity at the tail end of the Geminids under nice dark skies.
      I've also been wondering about "Smitty". I will be in Atlanta in
      January, and was hoping to look him up and maybe do some abserving.
      Charlie.