Re: astroclubs Constellation Mythology

  • Kathy Zendner
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 14, 2001
      Hi Susan !

      Welcome to our group. I recently found a copy of the book "Stars of the
      First People ". It is a fantastic book covering hundreds of Native American
      Star myths and constellations. I highly recommend this book. I am learning
      to do presentations with the Starlab planetarium. One of the shows is about
      Native American Myths so I have been doing some research and this is the
      best book so far. If you can't find this book let me know and I will try to
      help you if I can.
      Feel free to contact me if I can be of any help.

      Regards Kathy Zendner ~* stargirl *~

      ===================================
      Kathy Zendner; Salem Oregon; USA
      E-Mail - Kathy@...
      http://www.zendner.com/kathy/
    • Beverly Whiting
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 15, 2001
        Good Jim, that it is your speciality, because that subject, mythology,
        is not one of my favorite subjects....I only gave her what little I knew
        about it. BTW, a near-earth asteroid, 1998WT24 will be a 9th magnitude
        object crossing thru Perseus on Saturday night....a fairly rare event at
        that
        brightness.....check the www.skypub.com website for coordinates.
        Clear Skies,
        Tom Whiting

        Jim Nickel wrote:

        >Howdy All. This is right up my alley. I'm going to
        >look around as a while back I wrote a series of
        >articles on the mythologies of the constellations.
        >Ursa Major was a very prominent one. Here are three
        >quick comments, from memory, before I go on my hunt:
        >1) In one of the legends the Chief Goddess (Hera,
        >Juno's Greek counterpart) was really ticked that Zeus
        >placed one of his lovers and her son in the heavens.
        >She got a bit of revenge when she persuaded Poseidon,
        >the God of the Sea, to never let them dip into/bathe
        >in the ocean, hence they became circumpolar, (And talk
        >about a long time without a bath!), 2) One legend as I
        >recall said that the 7th missing Pleiad ended up in
        >the Big Dipper as a consort in Mizar/Alcor, 3) in one
        >North American Indian legend a group of hunters
        >stalked and killed the Heavenly Bear, it's blood
        >dripped to the earth and that's why leaves turn red in
        >the fall. More on this later. I gotta find that
        >article. I want to reread it. I think I'll send it to
        >Paul to put on the website. (I just use my PC for
        >mercenary purposes. This adventure would be something
        >new for me.) Get back to you soon, Jim.

      • Kathy Zendner
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 15, 2001
          Hi again Susan,

          I just found another link that you might find helpful
          http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/win_framed.html&fr=t
          lots of mythology, including Indian & Greek stories and assorted guides.

          .