Re: astroclubs Constellation Mythology

  • Jim Nickel
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 14, 2001
      Howdy All. This is right up my alley. I'm going to
      look around as a while back I wrote a series of
      articles on the mythologies of the constellations.
      Ursa Major was a very prominent one. Here are three
      quick comments, from memory, before I go on my hunt:
      1) In one of the legends the Chief Goddess (Hera,
      Juno's Greek counterpart) was really ticked that Zeus
      placed one of his lovers and her son in the heavens.
      She got a bit of revenge when she persuaded Poseidon,
      the God of the Sea, to never let them dip into/bathe
      in the ocean, hence they became circumpolar, (And talk
      about a long time without a bath!), 2) One legend as I
      recall said that the 7th missing Pleiad ended up in
      the Big Dipper as a consort in Mizar/Alcor, 3) in one
      North American Indian legend a group of hunters
      stalked and killed the Heavenly Bear, it's blood
      dripped to the earth and that's why leaves turn red in
      the fall. More on this later. I gotta find that
      article. I want to reread it. I think I'll send it to
      Paul to put on the website. (I just use my PC for
      mercenary purposes. This adventure would be something
      new for me.) Get back to you soon, Jim.

      or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com
    • Kathy Zendner
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 14, 2001
        Hi Susan !

        Welcome to our group. I recently found a copy of the book "Stars of the
        First People ". It is a fantastic book covering hundreds of Native American
        Star myths and constellations. I highly recommend this book. I am learning
        to do presentations with the Starlab planetarium. One of the shows is about
        Native American Myths so I have been doing some research and this is the
        best book so far. If you can't find this book let me know and I will try to
        help you if I can.
        Feel free to contact me if I can be of any help.

        Regards Kathy Zendner ~* stargirl *~

        ===================================
        Kathy Zendner; Salem Oregon; USA
        E-Mail - Kathy@...
        http://www.zendner.com/kathy/
      • Beverly Whiting
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 15, 2001
          Good Jim, that it is your speciality, because that subject, mythology,
          is not one of my favorite subjects....I only gave her what little I knew
          about it. BTW, a near-earth asteroid, 1998WT24 will be a 9th magnitude
          object crossing thru Perseus on Saturday night....a fairly rare event at
          that
          brightness.....check the www.skypub.com website for coordinates.
          Clear Skies,
          Tom Whiting

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 15, 2001
            Hi again Susan,

            I just found another link that you might find helpful
            http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/win_framed.html&fr=t
            lots of mythology, including Indian & Greek stories and assorted guides.

            .