Re: astroclubs Constellation Mythology

  • Beverly Whiting
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 14, 2001
      Greetings Susan,
      and welcome to the group.
      Well, the only mythology, female related, pertaining to Ursa Major, is
      given by
      Olcott's Field Book of the Skies, 1954, G.P. Putnam's Sons, New York
      (which is the latest edition of this book). and of course, out of print.
      But on page 61, we read:
      "According to a very ancient legend the Bear represented Callisto, the
      daughter of Lycaon, King of Arcadia. She was beloved by Jupiter who
      changed here into a bear to protect here from Juno's wrath. But before
      Jupiter had effected this change, Callisto was almost killed
      inadvertently by her
      little son Arcas, who, seeing the bear and not knowing it was his
      mother, was about to kill the creature. To avert this disaster Jupiter
      transferred Arcas into a little bear and placed him in the
      heavens near his mother."

      The book sited also gives other mythological information on most of the
      other areas (constellations) of the sky but a copy of the book is hard
      to find now, since 1954 is the latest edition.
      Clear Skies,
      Tom Whiting
    • eflaspo@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 14, 2001
        In a message dated 12/14/01 5:07:12 PM Central Standard Time,
        bwhiting@... writes:

        > Well, the only mythology, female related, pertaining to Ursa Major, is
        > given by
        > Olcott's Field Book of the Skies, 1954, G.P. Putnam's Sons, New York
        > (which is the latest edition of this book). and of course, out of print.
        > But on page 61, we read:
        > "According to a very ancient legend the Bear represented Callisto, the
        > daughter of Lycaon, King of Arcadia. She was beloved by Jupiter who
        > changed here into a bear to protect here from Juno's wrath. But before
        > Jupiter had effected this change, Callisto was almost killed
        > inadvertently by her
        > little son Arcas, who, seeing the bear and not knowing it was his
        > mother, was about to kill the creature. To avert this disaster Jupiter
        > transferred Arcas into a little bear and placed him in the
        > heavens near his mother."

        Tom:

        That agrees with the information I have on my Constellation Home Page.

        http://www.corvus.com/con-page/spring/uma-01.htm

        Ed Flaspoehler, AAAA
        www.astromax.com

      • Jim Nickel
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 14, 2001
          Howdy All. This is right up my alley. I'm going to
          look around as a while back I wrote a series of
          articles on the mythologies of the constellations.
          Ursa Major was a very prominent one. Here are three
          quick comments, from memory, before I go on my hunt:
          1) In one of the legends the Chief Goddess (Hera,
          Juno's Greek counterpart) was really ticked that Zeus
          placed one of his lovers and her son in the heavens.
          She got a bit of revenge when she persuaded Poseidon,
          the God of the Sea, to never let them dip into/bathe
          in the ocean, hence they became circumpolar, (And talk
          about a long time without a bath!), 2) One legend as I
          recall said that the 7th missing Pleiad ended up in
          the Big Dipper as a consort in Mizar/Alcor, 3) in one
          North American Indian legend a group of hunters
          stalked and killed the Heavenly Bear, it's blood
          dripped to the earth and that's why leaves turn red in
          the fall. More on this later. I gotta find that
          article. I want to reread it. I think I'll send it to
          Paul to put on the website. (I just use my PC for
          mercenary purposes. This adventure would be something
          new for me.) Get back to you soon, Jim.

          or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com
        • Kathy Zendner
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 14, 2001
            Hi Susan !

            Welcome to our group. I recently found a copy of the book "Stars of the
            First People ". It is a fantastic book covering hundreds of Native American
            Star myths and constellations. I highly recommend this book. I am learning
            to do presentations with the Starlab planetarium. One of the shows is about
            Native American Myths so I have been doing some research and this is the
            best book so far. If you can't find this book let me know and I will try to
            help you if I can.
            Feel free to contact me if I can be of any help.

            Regards Kathy Zendner ~* stargirl *~

            ===================================
            Kathy Zendner; Salem Oregon; USA
            E-Mail - Kathy@...
            http://www.zendner.com/kathy/
          • Beverly Whiting
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 15, 2001
              Good Jim, that it is your speciality, because that subject, mythology,
              is not one of my favorite subjects....I only gave her what little I knew
              about it. BTW, a near-earth asteroid, 1998WT24 will be a 9th magnitude
              object crossing thru Perseus on Saturday night....a fairly rare event at
              that
              brightness.....check the www.skypub.com website for coordinates.
              Clear Skies,
              Tom Whiting

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 15, 2001
                Hi again Susan,

                I just found another link that you might find helpful
                http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/win_framed.html&fr=t
                lots of mythology, including Indian & Greek stories and assorted guides.

                .