[AstronomyClubsAroundTheWorld] Re: *ITS OFFICIAL* Dark Sky Park

  • Anthony Obra
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28, 2000
      Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!  Congratulations!!!  Another "Win" for Dark Skies.  The ball is starting to roll slowly, nonetheless it has started rolling here in the United States also.

            Tony O. / OCA       ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2000 10:12 AM
      Subject: [AstronomyClubsAroundTheWorld] Re: *ITS OFFICIAL* Dark Sky Park

      Whoooooopeeeeee!

      Its official folks! We were successful with our proposal to the local
      government here. Where upon McDonald Park has been designated a "Dark
      Sky Park"! Not bad for a bunch of rookies, that are in no way
      politicians!

      To be honest with you our delegation made its presentation to the
      members of council, and at the end of it, I had thought we had blown it
      somehow. The Mayor said thankyou and from where we were standing in the
      auditorium nothing more was said. Or so it seemed. We left feeling
      dejected. The three of us went for a coffee, and began licking our
      wounds and discussed where it was we may have gone wrong! I came home
      and devoured another pot of coffee. I was feeling pretty low about it.
      That evening I watched the local T.V. of the council meeting that we
      were a part of earlier that day.

      To my suprise and delight! And Utter Shock! (And my wife laughing and
      laughing and laughing at me as for the Look on my Face!)

      Council had PASSED the idea of designating the park as a "Dark Sky
      Park"!! We didn't hear this when we were there! I don't know if the
      speakers in the auditorium went down or we just plain didn't hear the
      out come! Its amazing how the mind hears what it thinks it wants to
      hear, and we didn't want to hear the negitives. But we did anyway! My
      chin hit the floor that evening when the opposite of what I thought
      happened happened and my wife roared with laughter! hahaha

      I taped the meeting on our VCR, and I must have watched our
      presentation at least 4 times to be absolutely sure or what I heard!
      Yep I'm hearing right! A motion is made on the items requested, it is
      seconded, and carried! Done!

      Whaaaaaaaa hoooooooooo!!!!
      It is my hope that we can honestly say that this is the second site of
      its kind in Canada! Good Stuff!!!

      eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/astronomyclubsaroundtheworld

    • Paul Greenhalgh
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28, 2000
        HAHAHAAA Tony you have such FLAIR! hahahaaaa.... thanks bud... we're pretty happy about it here! Great stuff... I also spoke with our President today with regards to the IDA.
        I'm going to have a look at their site again and find out what the membership is worth.

        Really its the conversion of the dollar that holds us back sometimes. But we'll see!
        Again thankyou for the enthusiasm.. it made me laugh!

        ________________________________
        Paul Greenhalgh (Director-Website Editor)
        Fraser Valley Astronomers Society
        British Columbia Canada
        http://fvas.virtualave.net

        Astonomy Clubs Around the World e-group
        astronomyclubsaroundtheworld-subscribe@...

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28, 2000
          Thanks for the acknowledgement.  I'm Happy for you.  The State of Arizona has lighting ordinances and so does San Diego Califonia..........Thanks to IDA.  Check the "other" astro group...there's a letter in there which better describes the progress IDA is making in the manufacturing field and with the politicians.

                                                                    Tony O./ OCA