Jupiter

  • sahmiam35@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 12, 2000
      Ahh it's just the newbie in me but I find looking at Jupiter such a blast. I
      loved the moon placement tonight. Looks so neat. And I can definately see a
      couple of cloud bands even with full moonlight.

      Question for you nothern-types. How do you keep your binocs, finderscopes,
      and eyepieces from constantly fogging over?

      Time for a cup of tea and a hot shower to defrost!

      Ellen
    • Brenda Culbertson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 28, 2002
        Hi all,

        Mike and I have been documenting the GRS, etc. interaction via video
        tape. It's been cloudy here for a while, but we have a couple of night's
        taping. If you all hear of anything new, please pass the info on. I do
        have the alert and have contacted ALPO regarding the tapes. They want
        any and all observations.

        BC
      • Jim Nickel
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 28, 2002
          Howdy Y'all! A splinter group of my astronomy club (a
          little west of Baltimore/our club) had a posting re
          Jupiter's current show, Jim.

          About a dozen observers held an ammonia oval party
          last Saturday night.
          The skies were very steady and Jupiter was as good as
          it gets. The
          best views were through a 155mm refractor, which
          during good seeing the BA
          oval outline was visible. Details within the Great
          Red Spot was also
          seen along with a half dozen or so smaller white ovals
          in the Northern
          Tropical belt. The Southern Tropical belt and South
          Temperate belt had
          a lot of detail with extensive distortion around the
          GRS/BA oval area.

          When looking for the oval in question find the space
          where the BA oval
          rests (check the ALPO website for location). This was
          quite obvious
          even in the 4" scopes. Much more subtle was the
          outline of the oval
          itself. Filters were helpful. Blue (80a) proved the
          tops of the standard
          color filters, but the best proved to be the new moon
          glow/sky
          pollution filter being distributed via AstroPhysics.
          I need to get one of
          these myself but am holding out for a two inch size
          which is not yet
          available.

          Jupiter is rarely more interesting than at present --
          wishing you the
          best in observing.

          http://auctions.yahoo.com
        • Brenda Culbertson
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 8 6:24 AM
            Manoj,

            Jupiter looks great! During a small gathering some of us observed
            Jupiter through a variety of telescopes. We have another public session
            set up for Friday, and I'll make a point to show the giant planet.

            BC
          • Manoj Pai
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 8 9:20 AM
              Its clouded out here... would it be possible for you or your observatory to provide us with a live video feed through a video conference or webcast?

              Please let me know. this includes other members of this list

              Thanks