Penetrating Oils

  • Dave Mudge
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 10, 2012

      This is an e-mail that I received today.  I have not verified the information but thought that you might find it useful.  I have also heard that anti-freeze works well.

      Wayne Coe

      Artist Blacksmith

      Penetrating Oils

      Penetrating Oils
      Machinist's Workshop MagT recently published some information on various penetrating oils that I found very interesting.
      Some of you might appreciate this. The magazine reports they tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts.

      They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist. They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

      *Penetrating oils ........... Average torque load to loosen*

      No Oil used ................... 516 pounds
      WD-40 ..................... ... 238 pounds
      PB Blaster .................... 214 pounds
      Liquid Wrench ...............127 pounds
      Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds
      ATF*-Acetone mix............53 pounds

      The ATF-Acetone mix is a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any commercial product in this one particular test.

      Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results.
      Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is almost as good as "Kroil"
      for about 20% of the price.

      Steve from Godwin-Singer says that ATF-Acetone mix is best,
      but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a 50-50 mix.
      *ATF=Automatic Transmission Fluid

       This actually works well, power-steering fluid also works as well as trans fluid!

    • Bob Ehrenberger
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 11, 2012
        Some years ago there was a formula floating around called Ed's Red. I
        remember that it had ATF and acetone and I think one more ingredient. It was
        towted as a general cleaner for rusty equipment. I mixed up a batch and used
        it to clean an old lathe. I don't remember it being used as a penetrating
        oil for stuck hardware. I need to see if I still have some on my shelf.

        BAM editor
        Robert Ehrenberger
        Shelbyville, Mo.
        eforge@...

        This is an e-mail that I received today. I have not verified the
        information but thought that you might find it useful. I have also heard
        that anti-freeze works well.****

        ** **

        Wayne Coe****

        Artist Blacksmith****

        ** **

        Penetrating Oils****

        ****

        ****

        ****

[...]

        -----
        No virus found in this message.
      • Conner
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 11, 2012
          The ingredients for Ed's Red rifle bore cleaner were ATF, acetone and kerosene, with another formula adding mineral spirits.  There were many cautions on mixing and storage. I do not recall any reference from Ed for use on rusty equipment, only as a rifle bore cleaner.

          IForgerIron.com
          Glenn Conner, admin
          ----------------------

          Some years ago there was a formula floating around called Ed's Red. I
          remember that it had ATF and acetone and I think one more ingredient. It was
          towted as a general cleaner for rusty equipment. I mixed up a batch and used
          it to clean an old lathe. I don't remember it being used as a penetrating
          oil for stuck hardware. I need to see if I still have some on my shelf.

          BAM editor
          Robert Ehrenberger

        • Brian Edginton

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 11, 2012
              Ed's Red rifle bore cleaner is a mixture of ATF, acetone and kerosene.  Another formula adds mineral spirits to the mix. There are many cautions on mixing and storage as well as specific use as a bore cleaner. I do not recall Ed mentioning or suggesting it's use as a penetrating oil for rusty metal.

              Glenn Conner
              IForgeIron.com
              http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/30082-penetrating-oils/

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 11, 2012
                This should help with frozen nuts this winter here in West Virginia!

                Dave Allen
                Newsletter Editor
                Appalachian Blacksmiths Association
                www.appaltree.net/aba

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 11, 2012
                  I got the info for Ed's Red on TheForge. Maybe someone had tried it as a
                  cleaner and thought it did a good job. It did a god job cleaning my lathe,
                  but I was a bit nervous using acetone. My dad used to bring home carbon
                  tetrecloride, so by comparison acetone was pretty mild.

                  Robert Ehrenberger
                  Shelbyville, Mo.
                  eforge@...
                  573-633-2010