Fwd: [Inter-Fe] Fredi Habermann

  • Dave Mudge
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2008

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: <rjquinnell@...>
      Date: Fri, May 2, 2008 at 9:44 AM
      Subject: [Inter-Fe] Fredi Habermann
      To: Inter-Fe@yahoogroups.com

      I am currently attending the Blacksmiths Association of Missouri conference at Sedalia, MO, USA, with my wife Pauline; the news of Fredi Habermann's passing came to us on April 28th from several sources from around the world, and as he was known to some extent by nearly everyone here, the conversation has been all about the great respect and affection he was held in, both by those who saw him demonstrate, and by those who counted him as a friend and mentor.
      Fredi's grandson Josef is demonstrating here - he has been away from home, working as a journeyman in the USA for some time, and is obviously upset by the news, but is carrying himself like a true professional - Fredi would be proud of him.

      Today at noon Fredi's funeral in Austria takes place; today at local noon I have been asked to make a tribute to Fredi to the conference delegates - I knew him for perhaps 30 years - on a visit long before the Iron Curtain fell he lived in my household and worked in my workshop for three weeks - and it will be an honour to remember him. Josef will stand with me on the platform, to honour the memory of his grandfather, and to represent the new generation.

      best wishes to all of you

      Dick Quinnell

    • Patricia Guy
      Message 2 of 2 , May 4, 2008

        The latest edition of the Alex Bealer Blacksmiths Association is available on-line at http://alexbealer.org/taxonomy/term/118 .

        I’d like to draw your attention to one article in this edition.   “Ivan Bailey Demonstrations”.    It seems part of human nature the people drift in and out of contact with each other and this is no difference with groups.   Even though Ivan is a nationally renowned artist/blacksmith, and one of the founding members of both ABANA and our local affiliate, Ivan and ABBA had drifted apart.  That was rectified this past month.  Ivan hosted our April meeting and gave us a very educational series of demonstrations.

        Jim Guy

        Editor,  Alex Bealer  Blacksmiths Association