469Re: [ABANA_Affiliate_Newsletter_Editors] Tidewater Blacksmiths Guild- New Editor [1 Attachment]

  • Robert Menard
    Jan 18, 2014
      Hi Scott,
      I checked out your first newsletter and thought it looked fine. I am also a new editor and have just turned out my 5th newsletter. When I first started, I picked heavily from others around the country. I have been fortunate in getting more local content the past 6 months. I explained to the membership that I would like to use as much local content as I could but I had no problem plucking from "newsletters from away." We also have a long history and I have re-run articles from the past. I have been to a number of affiliate web sites and mined their entire newsletter collections for my use. I have them all in a separate file on the computer and I paw through as I have time. One of the biggest perks of this job is the access to all the other newsletters. I love it and it has enhanced my own blacksmithing.
      There is a path that is walked by the group newsletter editor. I have chosen to make education a prominent feature to my group. I have always thought that the editor has extraordinary influence on the rest of the group and must have a long term set of goals to push. For now, mine is education and pushing our scholarship program. I also have minored in recruiting new young fresh people. Our group is aging and I am concerned if we don't work the young people we will age ourselves out of an organization.
      My advise, get the "word" out, have some agenda, take from the rest of us, and try to not let the deadline wreck your head.
      Good luck, Bob Menard  - New England Blacksmiths

      On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 10:43 PM, Scott Hill <scotthille13@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Scott Hill included below]
      Greetings all,

      My name is Scott Hill and I am the new editor for The Tidewater Blacksmith's Guild. I am new to Yahoo groups and am caught in a very steep learning curve. This email is both an introduction and a test for me. I hope it all works out.

      I think, I have attached the September Newsletter (another test). I am new to the editor position and welcome any and all suggestions for improvement. It has been a while since we have published a newsletter and I am having a hard time with getting the membership to send in material so most of what you see in this issue is on the fly from me. The January issue is waiting for the TBG president to approve and I will send that out. It has a bit more from our membership but I also included a page from the BAM newsletter that I hope I used appropriately per the rules and gave credit for. If not please let me know and I will fix it.

      I am looking forward to this adventure and working with all of you on this and again any and all suggestions are appreciated.

      Thank You,
      Scott Hill
      skadsigns@...
      757-374-8929