Rabbits (or other pets) suffering from headtilt

  • Ros L
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2011

      Headtilt is a most distressing condition, generally resulting from either a parasitic infection of the brain (Encephalitozoon cuniculi) or inner ear infection. It robs rabbits of their sense of balance, twists their necks around (torticollis), causes eye flickering (nystagmus), in the case of inner ear infection, causes severe pain, is often linked to dental issues, can reduce appetite due to nausea and if not properly treated, can lead to death.

      In very many cases it is treatable, with the support of a rabbit savvy vet.

      On The Wonk http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/OnTheWonk/ is a Yahoo group that was set up in 2008 to support owners of rabbits (and other pets) suffering from the condition. We have almost 300 members and because we have lived through the illness with them, have gained a vast store of knowledge which we put to use in helping new members. We have archived case studies that members can access, and print off to discuss treatments with vets. We have a database of experienced vets, as recommended by members. There are folders in both Links and Files, crammed with information and support, to help pets fight their way back to full health, which very many do achieve, with the right treatments. The atmosphere is very focused, but also very warm and supportive. We don't have chat within group mails, and have provided a sister group, Off The Wonk, for that purpose.

      Although we have a lot of members, we always welcome more, because the condition, of course, affects more and more rabbits each day, and there is always somebody new needing help and support. Old members tend to stay, even when their rabbits have recovered, so that they can support others in that very frightening situation they were once in themselves.

      If you have a headtilt rabbit (or other pet, who won't have Ec...only rabbits get that, but ANY pet can get inner ear infection, and so can humans), or you know somebody who has, please join On The Wonk, and spread the word to others.