RE: [AAT] Passionate Ape available free Sat July 6 on amazon

  • Felipe Carvalho
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2013
      Hello Craig,

      Interesting. Is your theory similar to (or inspired by) Elaine Morgan's theory about sex, rape, and love, presented in her first book, long ago?

      Best regards,

      Felipe

      To: AAT@yahoogroups.com
      From: craigh@...
      Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 17:34:44 +0000
      Subject: [AAT] Passionate Ape available free Sat July 6 on amazon

      I have reissued my book in Kindle format through Amazon. On Saturday it will be available for free download.

      www.amazon.com/The-Passionate-Ape-ebook/dp/B00DGGUQMM

      I made some minor modifications in the text. A couple graphics were added, and they generally are improved because they don't require photocopying as the hardcopy did.

      I have not posted here in quite a long time, though I scan the thread digest. There are quite a few new members since the last time we had threads on my thesis.

      For those not familiar with my view, The Passionate Ape model uses a period of aquatic adaptation as the basis for human sexual and emotional evolution. The aquatic conversion to frontal sex caused the loss of reliable female orgasms, and the resultant strengthening by default of typical primate personal preference for certain partners over others. Over time and given additional selective pressures, this gave rise to passion, the loss of estrus, and a chain reaction of consequential adaptations.

      I'll be interested in the response here. A previous free offering did well.

      Craig

    • craighagstrom
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2013
        Elaine introduced the aquatic concept to me, but there are few points on which we agree. We corresponded a few years ago, and she was good enough to read my manuscript. She said she's moved away from the idea that evolution shapes psychology, whereas that's my main point.

        The Passionate Ape title is intended as a rejection of The Naked Ape and the various models that posit our emotional and sexual superiority. I see us as badly damaged by changes forced on us during the transition to marine life and back to land. Love and passion are not a higher form of bonding, but are the emotional putty evolved to fill the gap where more immediate (orgasmic) rewards became unreliable. The important lessons then follow - what an ape species does when suddenly it must adapt to females who mate for love.

        I make the point that aquatic life is almost universally fatal for a primate, but the forces are broad enough that a bipedal hominoid is a predictable result of the double transition. IOW nearly all will fail, but the successes will likely resemble us.

        Phillip Tobias sent me a nice postcard after he read it, and from the sound of it he was talking with his students about my model. I don't know what further traction it's gained there.

        Craig