Re: [AAT] Throwing Another Hallmark?

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2013
      As always there is no single explanation for "throwing", for "bipedalism",
      for "speech" etc.
      When we analyse these "unique" human abilities into more elementary
      traits, they become less unique, eg, google "New directions in
      palaeoanthropology".

      - Human locomotion is composed of 2-leggedness (birds, dinos, some
      anteaters, hopping-mice, kangaroos), very long & stretched legs
      (wading-birds>ostrich), vertical spine (vertical climbers, btrahciators,
      penguins on land), striding not hopping, full plantigrady etc., to be
      explained IMO by a vertical aquarboreal hominoid evolving into a diving &
      later wading & walking species.
      - The beginnings of human language (music + small mouth + volitional
      breathing + large brain) can be explained IMO by a musical monogamous
      hominoid evolving into a shellfish-eating diving species.
      - In a comparable way, human throwing can be explained IMO by a
      below-branch hominoid (arms overhead) evolving into a diving (swimming
      arms) & later wading-spearing species (salmon, shallow water animals,
      ducks, later herbivores on terra firma etc.).

      --marc

      ____

      Had never considered how unique our ability to throw is. We say that
      monkeys and apes also throw things. But english is a flexible language and
      sometimes imperfectly precise.
      Throw, toss, pitch, fling, lob, hurl, heave, and sling all can describe
      the same action. Yet each word also has a slightly different intent. A
      baseball pitcher and an ape do both throw things but an ape can more
      accurately be described as flinging poop at zoo visitors. What a pitcher
      does is a magnitude beyond what any other animal could ever do. Both in
      speed and control.
      This ability should be considered just as unique (by degree) as tool use
      and language in man. In retrospect I am surprised that this was not
      included in the original list of hallmarks that Hardy presented.
      Terry