facial width is associated with testosterone levels in men

    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2013
      Telling facial metrics:
      facial width is associated with testosterone levels in men
      Carmen E Lefevre cs 2013 Evol.hum.Behav.
      * http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.evolhumbehav.2013.03.005

      High facial width-to-height ratio (fWHR) has been associated with a
      cluster of behavioural traits in men, including aggression &
      status-striving.
      This association between face structure & behaviour may be caused by
      testosterone.

      Here we investigated
      - the relationship of both baseline & reactive testosterone levels to fWHR,
      - the link between testosterone & 3 well-characterised sexually dimorphic
      facial metrics.
      Testosterone was measured in 185 males before & after a speed-dating
      event.
      An additional sample provided 92 baseline testosterone measures (n=92).

      fWHR was
      - positively associated with testosterone reactions to potential mate
      exposure &
      - marginally associated with baseline testosterone in Sample 1.
      We found a positive association with baseline testosterone & fWHR in
      Sample 2.
      Face-width-to-lower-height ratio was positively associated with
      testosterone in both samples, suggesting that, in particular, facial width
      (scaled by 2 measures of facial height) is associated with testosterone.
      Importantly, our results also indicate that there is no association
      between adult testosterone & the sexual dimorphism of face shape.
      Thus, while our findings question the status of sexual dimorphism as a
      proxy measure of testosterone, they do provide evidence that testosterone
      is linked to fWHR, and might underlie the relationship between fWHR &
      behaviour.