HPG from western Tethys coastal forests?

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2013
      Dryopithecins, Darwin, de Bonis, and the European origin of the African
      apes and human clade
      RD Begun 2009 Geodiversitas 31:789-816

      Darwin famously opined that the most likely place of origin of the African
      ape & human LCA is Africa, given the distribution of its living
      descendents.
      But it is infrequently recalled that immediately afterwards, Darwin, in
      his typically thorough & cautious style, noted that a fossil ape from
      Europe, Dryopithecus, may instead represent the ancestors of African apes,
      which dispersed into Africa from Europe.
      Louis de Bonis cs were the first researchers in the modern era to echo
      Darwin's suggestion about
      apes from Europe.
      Resulting from their spectacular discoveries in Greece over several
      decades, de Bonis cs have shown convincingly that African ape & human
      clade members (hominines) lived in Europe at least 9.5 Ma.
      Here I review the fossil record of hominoids in Europe as it relates to
      hominin origins.
      While I differ in some details with Louis, we are in complete agreement on
      the importance of Europe in determining the fate of the African ape &
      human clade.
      Th ere is no doubt that Louis de Bonis is a pioneer in advancing our
      understanding of this fascinating time in our evolutionary history.