Re: [AAT] Re: www.royalmarsden.nhs.uk/humanevolution

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 21, 2012
      Thanks, Chak.

      Eden in the East
      In his book "Eden in the East: The Drowned Continent of Southeast Asia",
      published in 1998, Oppenheimer makes a case that the rise in ocean levels
      that accompanied the waning of the ice age (as much as 150 m) during the
      period 14-7 ka, must be taken into account when trying to understand the
      flow of genes & culture in Eurasia.
      Citing evidence from geology, archaeology, genetics, linguistics &
      folklore, he hypothesizes that the SE.Asian subcontinent of Sundaland was
      home to a rich & original culture that was dispersed when Sunda was mostly
      submerged and its population moved west-ward.
      According to Oppenheimer, Sundaland's culture may have reached India &
      Mesopotamia, becoming the root for the innovative cultures that developed
      in those areas. He also suggests that the Austronesian languages originate
      from Sunda, and that a Neolithic Revolution may have started there.

      The Real Eve (documentary & US book title) / Out of Eden (UK book title)
      In 2002, Oppenheimer worked as consultant on a tv documentary series, The
      Real Eve.
      The series was known as "Where We Came From" in the UK.
      The "Eve" in the title refers to Mitochondrial Eve, a name used for the
      most recent common ancestor of all humans in the matrilineal line of
      descent.

      Following the series, Oppenheimer published a book on the same theme,
      originally titled "Out of Eden" in the UK and republished as "The Real
      Eve" in the US.
      This work, published in 2004, focuses on Oppenheimer's hypothesis that
      modern humans emerged from E.Africa in a single major exodus of a few
      hundred individuals.
      This lone group of wanderers, he suggests, became the ancestors of all
      non-Africans, their descendants having since radiated into a plurality of
      physical characteristics, languages, ethnicities & cultures as seen today.

      Origins of the British
      In his 2006 book "The Origins of the British", revised in 2007,
      Oppenheimer argued that neither Anglo-Saxons nor Celts had much impact on
      the genetics of the inhabitants of the British Isles, and that British
      ancestry mainly traces back to the Palaeolithic Iberian people, now
      represented best by Basques, instead.
      He also argued that the Scandinavian input has been underestimated. He
      published an introduction to his book in Prospect magazine, and answered
      some of his critics in a further Prospect magazine article in June 2007.

      (there seems to have been a very large Scandinavian (Danish?) linguistic
      input in English --mv)

      --marc

      Van: azul_chan_chak <albert.chak@...>
      Beantwoorden - Aan: "AAT@yahoogroups.com" <AAT@yahoogroups.com>
      Datum: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 06:29:58 -0000
      Aan: "AAT@yahoogroups.com" <AAT@yahoogroups.com>
      Onderwerp: [AAT] Re: www.royalmarsden.nhs.uk/humanevolution

      Sir David Attenborough, Stephen Oppenheimer, Stephen Cunnane, Michael
      Crawford, Kathlyn Stewart, Mario, Marc, Algis, Stephen Munro, John
      Langdon, Peter Rhys-Evans, Geoff Bailey, Leigh Broadhurst, Nic Flemming,
      Erika Schagatay, Dirk Meijers, Pierre-François Puech, Anna Gislén, Michel
      Odent

      See all these names!!
      How can I miss this event?

      I was reading Stephen Oppenheimer's "Eden in the East", about the 3
      prehistoric great floods ("deluge") that destroyed most evidence at the
      coast. Guessed Oppenheimer would be a fan of the aquatic hypothesis, and
      he really is?

      Chak

      --- In AAT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AAT%40yahoogroups.com>, Marc Verhaegen