The Outside Rx: Go Blue

  • Gabriel Land
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 20, 2012
      I am interested in the psychological effects of aquatic and coastal
      environments.

      This months issue of *Outside *magazine includes an article titled 'The
      Nature Cure'.

      Within the pages of that article is a series of blurbs called 'Outside Rx'.
      One of them is *Outside Rx: Go Blue.*
      **
      The text follows.

      *Greening our lives is a good start, but we need to blue them too. New
      research suggests that water may be a key element in the natural world for
      psychological well being. *
      **
      *When researchers in Exeter, England showed a group of adults a series of
      urban and natural scenes with water (rivers, lakes, oceans) and without,
      the subujects greatly preferred the images with water, even if those scenes
      also showed buuildings and streets. *
      **
      *In fact, they liked cityscapes depicting water as much as they did
      majestic but more arid natural scenes, including forests and mountains. *
      **
      *There seems to be some intangible tug to water, says Mathew White, a
      lecturer at the University of Exeter Medicine School, who led the study.
      "People report better moods while taking walks near coasts than many nature
      areas," he says.*
      **
      *Those living near the ocean also tend to be healthier than those living
      inland, a seperate 2012 study by White and his colleagues found. Using
      British Census data, they established that "good health is more prevalent
      the closer one lives to the coast." *
      **
      *Similarly, a 2010 review if the mental health benefitsd of being outside
      conlcuded that any exposure to natural space improves mood but that
      proximity to water significantly magnifies that effect. The more blue you
      incorporate into your life, the less blue you may feel. *