Hn origin for CP ?

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2012
      Radiocarbon dates from the Grotte du Renne and Saint-Césaire support a
      Neandertal origin for the Châtelperronian
      Jean-Jacques Hublin, Sahra Talamo, Michèle Julien, Francine David, Nelly
      Connet, Pierre Bodu, Bernard Vandermeersch & Michael P Richards 2012
      PNAS 109:18743-8 doi 10.1073/pnas.1212924109 open access

      The transition from the Middle to Upper Paleolithic (MP/UP) is marked by
      the replacement of late Hn by Hs in Europe 50-40 ka.
      CP artifact assemblages found in C-France & N-Spain date to this time
      period.
      So far, it is the only such assemblage type that has yielded Hn remains
      directly associated with UP style artifacts.
      CP assemblages also include body ornaments, otherwise virtually unknown in
      the Hn world.
      However, it has been argued that instead of the CP being manufactured by
      Hn, site formation processes & layer admixture resulted in the chance
      association of Hn remains, CP assemblages & body ornaments.

      Here, we report a series of accelerator mass spectrometry radio-C dates on
      ultra-filtered bone collagen extracted from 40 well-preserved bone
      fragments from the late-Mousterian, CP & Proto-Aurignacian layers at the
      Grotte du Renne site (at Arcy-sur-Cure).
      - Our radio-C results are inconsistent with the admixture hypothesis.
      - We report a direct date on the Hn CP skeleton from Saint-Césaire. This
      date corroborates the assignment of CP assemblages to the latest Hn of
      W-Europe:
      the production of body ornaments in the CP post-dates the arrival of Hs in
      neighboring regions of Europe.
      This new behavior could therefore have been the result of cultural
      diffusion from Hs to Hn groups.