indian Acheulian 1.5 Ma?

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1 2:08 AM
      Early Pleistocene Presence of Acheulian Hominins in South India
      S Pappu cs 2011 Science 331:1596-9 doi 10.1126/science.1200183

      S.Asia is rich in Lower Paleolithic Acheulian sites, attributed to the
      Mid-Pleistocene on the basis of a small number of dates, with a few older,
      but disputed age estimates.

      Here, we report new ages from the excavated site of Attirampakkam, where
      paleo-magnetic measurements & direct 26Al/10Be burial dating of stone
      artifacts now position the earliest Acheulian levels as no younger than
      1.07 Ma, with a pooled average age of 1.51 ± 0.07 Ma.

      These results reveal that, during the Early Pleistocene, India was already
      occupied by hominins fully conversant with an Acheulian technology
      including handaxes & cleavers among other artifacts.
      This implies that a spread of bifacial technologies across Asia occurred
      earlier than previously accepted.
    • dons3148
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1 4:33 AM
        -- In AAT@yahoogroups.com, Marc Verhaegen <m_verhaegen@...> wrote:

        > Early Pleistocene Presence of Acheulian Hominins in South India
        > S Pappu cs 2011 Science 331:1596-9 doi 10.1126/science.1200183
        >
        > S.Asia is rich in Lower Paleolithic Acheulian sites, attributed to the
        > Mid-Pleistocene on the basis of a small number of dates, with a few older,
        > but disputed age estimates.
        >
        > Here, we report new ages from the excavated site of Attirampakkam, where
        > paleo-magnetic measurements & direct 26Al/10Be burial dating of stone
        > artifacts now position the earliest Acheulian levels as no younger than
        > 1.07 Ma, with a pooled average age of 1.51 ± 0.07 Ma.
        >
        > These results reveal that, during the Early Pleistocene, India was already
        > occupied by hominins fully conversant with an Acheulian technology
        > including handaxes & cleavers among other artifacts.
        > This implies that a spread of bifacial technologies across Asia occurred
        > earlier than previously accepted.

        Another discovery that makes nonsense of the half-baked theory
        that early humans only left Africa 60,000 years ago...

        __________________________________

        An exciting discovery

        [quote]
        "The discovery of Acheulian tools no younger than one million years,
        and possibly as old as 1.5 million years, in Tamil Nadu overturns
        the current thinking that hominins or early humans lived in India
        merely 0.6 million to 0.5 million years ago. The exciting finds are
        from a site at Attirampakkam, in the Kortallayar River basin, about
        60 km northwest of Chennai. Previous age estimates indicated that
        hominins who moved out of Africa dispersed across Asia and Europe
        around the same time. This was inconsistent with the widely accepted
        current theories of early human migration from Africa to Asia."

        The Hindu
        http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/editorial/article1597038.ece
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1 4:42 AM
          > Early Pleistocene Presence of Acheulian Hominins in South India
          > S Pappu cs 2011 Science 331:1596-9 doi 10.1126/science.1200183
          >
          > S.Asia is rich in Lower Paleolithic Acheulian sites, attributed to the
          > Mid-Pleistocene on the basis of a small number of dates, with a few
          >older,
          > but disputed age estimates.
          >
          > Here, we report new ages from the excavated site of Attirampakkam, where
          > paleo-magnetic measurements & direct 26Al/10Be burial dating of stone
          > artifacts now position the earliest Acheulian levels as no younger than
          > 1.07 Ma, with a pooled average age of 1.51 ± 0.07 Ma.
          >
          > These results reveal that, during the Early Pleistocene, India was
          >already
          > occupied by hominins fully conversant with an Acheulian technology
          > including handaxes & cleavers among other artifacts.
          > This implies that a spread of bifacial technologies across Asia occurred
          > earlier than previously accepted.

          Another discovery that makes nonsense of the half-baked theory
          that early humans only left Africa 60,000 years ago...

          I hope you know the difference between H.sapiens & H.erectus?
          Acheulian is generally attributed to erectus cs.
          The Acheulian "hand-axes" must have had a very specific function, but we
          still don't know which.

          An exciting discovery
          "The discovery of Acheulian tools no younger than one million years,
          and possibly as old as 1.5 million years, in Tamil Nadu overturns
          the current thinking that hominins or early humans lived in India
          merely 0.6 million to 0.5 million years ago. The exciting finds are
          from a site at Attirampakkam, in the Kortallayar River basin, about
          60 km northwest of Chennai. Previous age estimates indicated that
          hominins who moved out of Africa dispersed across Asia and Europe
          around the same time. This was inconsistent with the widely accepted
          current theories of early human migration from Africa to Asia."
          http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/editorial/article1597038.ece

          Thanks for this.

          --marc
        • dons3148
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1 2:24 PM
            -- In AAT@yahoogroups.com, Marc Verhaegen <m_verhaegen@...> wrote:

            > > Early Pleistocene Presence of Acheulian Hominins in South India
            > > S Pappu cs 2011 Science 331:1596-9 doi 10.1126/science.1200183
            > >
            > > S.Asia is rich in Lower Paleolithic Acheulian sites, attributed to the
            > > Mid-Pleistocene on the basis of a small number of dates, with a few
            > >older,
            > > but disputed age estimates.
            > >
            > > Here, we report new ages from the excavated site of Attirampakkam, where
            > > paleo-magnetic measurements & direct 26Al/10Be burial dating of stone
            > > artifacts now position the earliest Acheulian levels as no younger than
            > > 1.07 Ma, with a pooled average age of 1.51 ± 0.07 Ma.
            > >
            > > These results reveal that, during the Early Pleistocene, India was
            > >already
            > > occupied by hominins fully conversant with an Acheulian technology
            > > including handaxes & cleavers among other artifacts.
            > > This implies that a spread of bifacial technologies across Asia occurred
            > > earlier than previously accepted.
            >

            > Another discovery that makes nonsense of the half-baked theory
            > that early humans only left Africa 60,000 years ago...
            >

            > I hope you know the difference between H.sapiens & H.erectus?

            Yes... my point was to believe the OoA lobby, nothing significant
            happened outside Africa until H.sapiens "repopulated"
            Eurasia 60,000 years ago...

            > Acheulian is generally attributed to erectus cs.
            > The Acheulian "hand-axes" must have had a very specific function,
            > but westill don't know which.

            The H.erectus used the same stone tool "technology" for hundreds
            of thousands of years with little or no change.

            ______________________________

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1 3:02 PM
              > > Early Pleistocene Presence of Acheulian Hominins in South India
              > > S Pappu cs 2011 Science 331:1596-9 doi 10.1126/science.1200183
              >
              > > S.Asia is rich in Lower Paleolithic Acheulian sites, attributed to the
              > > Mid-Pleistocene on the basis of a small number of dates, with a few
              > > older but disputed age estimates.>
              > > Here, we report new ages from the excavated site of Attirampakkam,
              >where
              > > paleo-magnetic measurements & direct 26Al/10Be burial dating of stone
              > > artifacts now position the earliest Acheulian levels as no younger than
              > > 1.07 Ma, with a pooled average age of 1.51 ± 0.07 Ma.>
              > > These results reveal that, during the Early Pleistocene, India was
              > >already
              > > occupied by hominins fully conversant with an Acheulian technology
              > > including handaxes & cleavers among other artifacts.
              > > This implies that a spread of bifacial technologies across Asia
              >occurred
              > > earlier than previously accepted.

              > Another discovery that makes nonsense of the half-baked theory
              > that early humans only left Africa 60,000 years ago...

              > I hope you know the difference between H.sapiens & H.erectus?

              Yes... my point was to believe the OoA lobby, nothing significant
              happened outside Africa until H.sapiens "repopulated"
              Eurasia 60,000 years ago...

              That's not what they're saying AFAIK.

              > Acheulian is generally attributed to erectus cs.
              > The Acheulian "hand-axes" must have had a very specific function,
              > but we still don't know which.

              The H.erectus used the same stone tool "technology" for hundreds
              of thousands of years with little or no change.

              Of course, but what was it used for?

              --marc

              ______________________________

              > An exciting discovery
              > "The discovery of Acheulian tools no younger than one million years,
              > and possibly as old as 1.5 million years, in Tamil Nadu overturns
              > the current thinking that hominins or early humans lived in India
              > merely 0.6 million to 0.5 million years ago. The exciting finds are
              > from a site at Attirampakkam, in the Kortallayar River basin, about
              > 60 km northwest of Chennai. Previous age estimates indicated that
              > hominins who moved out of Africa dispersed across Asia and Europe
              > around the same time. This was inconsistent with the widely accepted
              > current theories of early human migration from Africa to Asia."
              > http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/editorial/article1597038.ece
              >

              > Thanks for this.
              >
              > --marc

            • dons3148
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 2 3:24 AM
                --- In AAT@yahoogroups.com, Marc Verhaegen <m_verhaegen@...> wrote:

                > > > Early Pleistocene Presence of Acheulian Hominins in South India
                > > > S Pappu cs 2011 Science 331:1596-9 doi 10.1126/science.1200183
                > >
                > > > S.Asia is rich in Lower Paleolithic Acheulian sites, attributed to the
                > > > Mid-Pleistocene on the basis of a small number of dates, with a few
                > > > older but disputed age estimates.>
                > > > Here, we report new ages from the excavated site of Attirampakkam,
                > >where
                > > > paleo-magnetic measurements & direct 26Al/10Be burial dating of stone
                > > > artifacts now position the earliest Acheulian levels as no younger than
                > > > 1.07 Ma, with a pooled average age of 1.51 ± 0.07 Ma.>
                > > > These results reveal that, during the Early Pleistocene, India was
                > > >already
                > > > occupied by hominins fully conversant with an Acheulian technology
                > > > including handaxes & cleavers among other artifacts.
                > > > This implies that a spread of bifacial technologies across Asia
                > >occurred
                > > > earlier than previously accepted.
                >

                > > Another discovery that makes nonsense of the half-baked theory
                > > that early humans only left Africa 60,000 years ago...
                >

                > > I hope you know the difference between H.sapiens & H.erectus?
                >
                > Yes... my point was to believe the OoA lobby, nothing significant
                > happened outside Africa until H.sapiens "repopulated"
                > Eurasia 60,000 years ago...
                >
                > That's not what they're saying AFAIK.
                > > Acheulian is generally attributed to erectus cs.
                > > The Acheulian "hand-axes" must have had a very specific function,
                > > but we still don't know which.
                > >

                > The H.erectus used the same stone tool "technology" for hundreds
                > of thousands of years with little or no change.
                >
                > Of course, but what was it used for?
                >
                > --marc

                Some say it was an efficient butchers tool, others think it had some symbolic value.
                Logically taking into account the length of time it was in use, it was probably the
                best butchery tool available until the H.heidelbergensis or H.neanderthal came up
                with a much better one (Mousterian).

                An alternative would be to say the H.erectus "inherited" the know-how from an
                another hominin, and having no idea how to improve on it... they simply kept
                on making the same stone tools for hundreds of thousands of years

                Experimental archaeology and the functional
                efficiency of Acheulean handaxes

                http://www.reading.ac.uk/archaeology/research/Projects/arch-RH-butchery.aspx