Re: Medicine

  • m3dodds
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2009
      --- In AAT@yahoogroups.com, Marc Verhaegen <m_verhaegen@...> wrote:

      > >> I probably average 1 to 2 dozen aspirin pills a year.
      > >> About the same amount of cans/bottles/glasses of beer.
      > >> More or less the same effect I guess, downgrade stress.
      >
      > > Well I hope it does have some medical benefit, as
      > > I take one 75.mg aspirin each day .... ---m3d
      >

      > If you have atheromatosis & don't suffer from gastric ulcera
      > or excessive bleeding, keep doing it, m3d: it protects your
      > arteries.
      >
      > --marc

      Thanks, Marc.
      Fortunately I do not suffer from either of those two conditions.
      So, I have been able to take the recommended aspirin daily since
      I had preventive heart surgery, some 18 months ago.
      (surgery, to reduce the risks of another stroke)

      ---m3d
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2009

        >>> Well I hope it does have some medical benefit, as
        >>> I take one 75.mg aspirin each day .... ---m3d

        >> If you have atheromatosis & don't suffer from gastric ulcera
        >> or excessive bleeding, keep doing it, m3d: it protects your
        >> arteries. --marc

        > Thanks, Marc.
        > Fortunately I do not suffer from either of those two conditions.
        > So, I have been able to take the recommended aspirin daily since
        > I had preventive heart surgery, some 18 months ago.
        > (surgery, to reduce the risks of another stroke) ---m3d

        If this preventive heart surgery was for arterial occlusions (coronary
        atheromatosis), it's probably best you keep taking aspirin.

        --marc
      • m3dodds
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2009

          > >> If you have atheromatosis & don't suffer from gastric ulcera
          > >> or excessive bleeding, keep doing it, m3d: it protects your
          > >> arteries. --marc
          >
          > > Thanks, Marc.
          > > Fortunately I do not suffer from either of those two conditions.
          > > So, I have been able to take the recommended aspirin daily since
          > > I had preventive heart surgery, some 18 months ago.
          > > (surgery, to reduce the risks of another stroke) ---m3d
          >
          > If this preventive heart surgery was for arterial occlusions (coronary
          > atheromatosis), it's probably best you keep taking aspirin.
          >
          > --marc

          It was for a slightly different reason, an undiagnosed
          birth/heart defect (namely a hole, in the heart), only
          diagnosed two years after the stroke. Without the
          surgery I was advised that my chances of another
          stroke were - high.

          ---m3d
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2009

            >>> Thanks, Marc.
            >>> Fortunately I do not suffer from either of those two conditions.
            >>> So, I have been able to take the recommended aspirin daily since
            >>> I had preventive heart surgery, some 18 months ago.
            >>> (surgery, to reduce the risks of another stroke) ---m3d

            >> If this preventive heart surgery was for arterial occlusions (coronary
            >> atheromatosis), it's probably best you keep taking aspirin.

            > It was for a slightly different reason, an undiagnosed
            > birth/heart defect (namely a hole, in the heart), only
            > diagnosed two years after the stroke. Without the
            > surgery I was advised that my chances of another
            > stroke were - high. ---m3d

            AFAIK it's not proven that low-dose aspirin is advantageous in this case,
            but I guess it's safer to take it.

            --marc
          • m3dodds
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 1, 2009

              > >> If this preventive heart surgery was for arterial occlusions (coronary
              > >> atheromatosis), it's probably best you keep taking aspirin.
              >
              > > It was for a slightly different reason, an undiagnosed
              > > birth/heart defect (namely a hole, in the heart), only
              > > diagnosed two years after the stroke. Without the
              > > surgery I was advised that my chances of another
              > > stroke were - high. ---m3d
              >
              > AFAIK it's not proven that low-dose aspirin is advantageous
              > in this case, but I guess it's safer to take it.
              >
              > --marc

              Yes, that is what I am advised.
              Think aspirin works to prevent the formation of small
              clots in the blood.

              ---m3d