Re: [AAT] trait and attractivity [Re: Brain size and cell packing]

  • Rob Dudman
    Message 1 of 73 , Nov 30, 2004
      Hello, Pauline. You wrote.........

      > No, you just press on the breast close to the baby's mouth
      > enough to break the contact, if you see what I mean.

      Thanks and yes, I see what you mean. I've seen nursing
      mothers use a finger to break the suck, and now that you
      describe it..............

      D'you think that the shape and smoothness of the breast
      reinforces the effectiveness of the sucking (as when one of
      those rubber-tipped arrows in children's toys of yesteryear
      hits a window-pane or, more relevantly, an inflated beachball)?
      Did the shape and size of the Hs, female breast evolve because
      those females with larger, smoother breasts provided for a more
      secure and more effective sucking for their infants?

      I'm thinking in terms of a compensation for the thinning body-
      hair in an environment where floating away could be a significant
      risk - because the body-hair was no longer thick enough or long
      enough to provide an effective hand-hold for the infant.

      The lack of female beards is also intriguing in this respect;
      a long, thick beard would seem to offer an ideal hand-hold
      for a breast-feeding infant. If females were emphasizing their
      mouths by devolving or simply avoiding any long, thick hair
      around the mouth, then the power of an infant's suck could
      well be significant in survival terms?

      ---Rob.
      Message 73 of 73 , Dec 24, 2004
        --- In AAT@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Dudman" <ansell@a...> wrote:
        > Hello, Craig. Thanks again for the preview of your model.
        >
        > You wrote....
        > >
        > > Ok, I'll avoid the Med discussion.
        > >
        > Pity........
        > >
        > > As I said, that's not my focus, and I don't find it useful.
        > >
        > You have a very practical approach to the exchange of
        > ideas.
        >
        > ---Rob.

        It's mostly a question of budgeting time. It's hard
        to find time for this forum, in and amongst other
        things going on. It can take an hour to respond
        to one (I'm slower than the average bear) and I don't
        want to spend time on side issues if I can avoid it.

        It wasn't intended to sound curt.

        Craig