early miocene migrations

  • andrew_and_inge
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2003
      Dear List

      A request for information.

      If you look at paper's like Begun's you see that they always say
      that apes migrated from Africa to Europe through land bridges where
      the Tethys was being broken up.

      However, from what I understand, the pushing of Africa into Europe
      was more of a swinging, pivoting because Spain and Morroco remained
      close from the time that Africa, Europe and the Americas were linked.

      And if we must posit land bridges between other parts of the ex-
      Tethys, why through the Middle East, and not through the various
      islands forming in what is now the Med?

      Best Regards
      Andrew
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2003
        >Dear List A request for information. If you look at paper's like
        Begun's you see that they always say that apes migrated from Africa to
        Europe through land bridges where the Tethys was being broken up.
        However, from what I understand, the pushing of Africa into Europe was more
        of a swinging, pivoting because Spain and Morroco remained close from the
        time that Africa, Europe and the Americas were linked. And if we must
        posit land bridges between other parts of the ex-Tethys, why through the
        Middle East, and not through the various islands forming in what is now the
        Med? Best Regards
        Andrew

        Yes, why not? Geologists could perhaps help us here. IIRC, from c.18 Ma and
        then again 1 or 2 mill.yrs later there were faunal exchanges between Africa
        & Eurasia, so before that time both continents might have been apart?

        Marc