33619Re: [AAT] He: hand axes

  • Gerard Michael Burns
    Feb 1, 2006
      From: "Pauline M Ross" <pmross@...>

      > On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 09:39:12 +0000, Pauline M Ross
      > <pmross@...> wrote:
      >
      >>>[Michael] Awesome to the max. He has nailed it. No doubt. And I usually
      >>>don't talk
      >>>like that.
      >>
      >>A cautionary comment: I haven't yet read the whole article, but I
      >>should point out that the idea of hand-axes as cores to produce flakes
      >>is one of the earliest proposed explanations for them. However, the
      >>symmetry, the carefully produced shape and the continuing production
      >>for over a million years suggests there was something more going on.
      >>I will comment further when I have read the article in full.
      >
      > Well, having read the whole thing, it's certainly an interesting point
      > of view, although I don't find it totally convincing. Some specific
      > comments:
      >
      > - The photograph of two handaxes with the author's hand for scale is
      > illuminating: the smaller, almost discoid one is very easy to envisage
      > as the core resulting from repeated flaking; the larger, pointed one
      > is a different kettle of fish.
      >
      > - The author's admission that he has only examined a small number of
      > handaxes makes it less convincing.
      >
      > - I would question his assertion that handaxes "were found at their
      > quarry (material source)", when he defines 'local' as less than 40 km.
      > That's too great a distance to claim the material is at source.

      Local and "source" are two different things. I don't recall if he stated it
      badly or not, but from other sources I know that some sources for the
      appropriate rocks are literally littered with cores, some only minimally
      exploited. As a partial confirmation, from another list, the following:
      "At Cape Hangklip (3 hours drive from Cape Town), there are Acheulian
      handaxes and MSA tools literally littering the mountain landscape in
      numbers that have to be seen to be believed. Some of the tools are at a
      distance from the rock from which they were hammered or broken from.
      Others are laying littered around the source rock/boulder. some of those
      stone tools, in particularly the Acheulian handaxes, have themselves
      been used as cores to strike off smaller tools.
      -Mikey Brass

      The signee is a PA who has seen the site.

      Michael Burns