Re: online database

  • "Leea Mäkelä"
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2009
      Hi Rasmus

      No, we don't have starting books for rabbits here in Finland. When we were first starting this hobby here, we could not really figure out by reading rulebooks how the starting book system was working in another countries. My mom explained how it works on horses showjumping, but it sounded complicated nevertheless - and that paper starting books would go missing easily, so keeping track on results online sounded easier and cheaper to do. In the beginning we hoppers were just a small subgroup under a show rabbit organisation, show rabbit organisation allowed us to have hopping contests at the shows if they didn't too much space, but we did not have budget of our own and therefor printing paper books for all hoppers or ordering rubberstamps to stamp sign of approval on them was out of question. After hoppers had formed own organisation with better budgeting abilities, we continued system that had proven to work for us. Frankly, I don't think anybody has missed having starting
      books.

      Older result sites are here:
      http://www.suomenestekanit.net/tulokset/tulokset2008.html

      Older results are on their each page, 2008 results are only partly there because there was huge problems in getting site updated that year - partly they were server problems, partly problems with webmaster's system. So we decided finally to put results (as well as announcements of forthcoming contests) on a separate forum, where organisers of each contest would be able to update results by themselves.
      This is the subforum to results:
      http://www.createphpbb.com/sekhallitus/viewforum.php?f=5&sid=da873eabba26bd45a9f98dd41b9bb4bd&mforum=sekhallitus

      Then there has been also such discussion forum, that most finnish rabbit enthusiasts read but that's not part of any organisation. We have usually posted results also there as public service. In fact, it was harder part to get all contest organisers to remember post results also to the official forum and not just the discussion forum, because there's so many discussion forum users craving to see results right after every contest! These days it seems the discussion forum is down so can't link that as well.

      Leea

      > Hi Leea
      >
      > So don't you have starting books for each rabbit in Finland?
      >
      > Do you have a link to the website where contest results are?
      >

      > Best Regards
      > Rasmus Bjerner, Denmark
    • Lyne Peterson
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2009
        I am quite excited to hear that an online results system has been working well in Finland.

        ... now someone tell me that you could look at a youtube video run of a rabbit and score it.  Can you imagine how that might work?  Would a time clock have to be running in the corner to show the time and prevent editing-cheating?  Would there be a need to be a date imprinted on the video?  CAN the date be imprinted on a video?

        Lyne