RE: Holding hands during the Lord's Prayer

  • J. Lobdell
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 11, 2009
      From Jim Blair, Jared Lobdell, Bob Stonebraker,
      Sherry Hartsell, and Ben Humphreys

      Holding hands during a prayer started at the
      AA International in Toronto in 1965, when Bill
      Wilson was still around (he died in 1971),
      and the practice seems to have been further
      popularized after it was done at the AA
      International in Denver in 1975.

      So fundamentally this practice of holding
      hands seems to have come straight from AA
      headquarters, from the New York GSO itself.

      The oldtimers who have written in, both in this
      message and in Message #6052, say that they
      never saw it done in ordinary local AA meetings
      until the early to mid 1970's, and that it only
      started to become a common practice over the
      course of the 1980's.

      Glenn C., Moderator, AAHistoryLovers

      - - - -

      From Jim Blair <jblair@...>
      (jblair@...) in Message #2247
      (repeated in Message #6052)

      The question of holding hands I have looked
      into and it appears that at the International
      in Toronto in 1965, the attendees were asked
      to hold hands and join together as the
      "Responsibility Declaration" was read for
      the first time. Older members seen to recollect
      that "hand holding" grew out of the Toronto
      experience.

      - - - -

      From: "J. Lobdell" <jlobdell54@...>
      (jlobdell54 at hotmail.com)

      I can't say where it originated but there
      is significant anecdotal evidence that it
      was brought back to many groups in many
      areas from the Denver International Convention
      (1975).

      - - - -

      From: "Robert Stonebraker"
      <rstonebraker212@...>
      (rstonebraker212 at comcast.net)

      The founding group in Richmond, Indiana,
      began in 1946. They never held hands till
      the mid-1980s, although some of the other
      Richmond groups started doing so in the
      early 1980s.

      Bob S.

      - - - -

      From: "sherry c. hartsell" <hartsell@...>
      (hartsell at etex.net) from Gilmer, Texas
      (a small town in east Texas, pop. 4,799).
      He is 74 years old, and has been sober since
      since December 29, 1967.

      He tells us that "it was not a practice when
      I sobered up."

      - - - -

      From: "Ben Humphreys" <blhump272@...>
      (blhump272 at sctv.coop)

      I can remember when I first came to AA in the
      middle 70s we all sat at the table for the
      whole meeting. It was in the later 70s that
      we started holding hands and saying the Lord's
      Prayer .... I can still see (in my mind) some
      of the oldtimers standing with their arms
      folded in ... protest.
    • oldsmokef
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 19, 2009
        This was passed on to me years ago:

        "We hold hands so that nobody will steal our wallet"

        Some groups are rougher than others.

        Mike K.