RE: What are the words to the Texas Prayer?

  • hartsell
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2009
      I have heard this or similar wording at larger
      Open Speaker meetings in Texas over the past
      40+ years, but have no way of knowing if THIS
      is the referenced one, or IF there is one known
      as The Texas Prayer.

      sherry c.h.

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2 8:09 AM
        Glenn

        The prayer was written in March (not April) 1940 by Larry J the founder of
        AA in Texas (Cleveland, OH is the parent group of Texas).

        I have a collection of copies of correspondence among Larry J, Ruth Hock and
        Bobbi B. Included in the material is a copy of the prayer that is word for
        word the same as the text cited in your message. The prayer's title was
        "A.A. Prayer" and it concluded with "Amen."

        I don't believe that usage of the prayer went too far beyond Houston and
        don't know where Pittman got the idea that it did. There is much myth
        circulating regarding Texas AA (e.g. the "Texas Prayer" and "Texas
        Preamble") that have fragments of fact supplemented by anecdotal
        embellishments that are not factual.

        Larry J's downfall came almost as quickly as his miraculous rescue by the
        Cleveland Group. Larry was always in very poor physical condition - drunk or
        sober. He returned to IV drug use around the Spring of 1941 and then
        returned to drinking shortly thereafter and was never able to sober up again
        beyond brief intervals. Larry J passed away in May 1944.

        Arthur S

        April 1, 1940 - Larry J. of Houston is said to
        have written "The Texas Prayer," used to open
        AA meetings in Texas.

        Does anyone have the words to this prayer?

        - - - -

        From the moderator:

        ____________________

        Our Father, we come to You as a friend.
        You have said that, where two or three are gathered in Your name, there You
        will be in the midst. We believe You are with us now.
        We believe this is something You would have us do, and that it has Your
        blessing.
        We believe that You want us to be real partners with You in this business of
        living, accepting our full responsibility, and certain that the rewards will
        be freedom, and growth, and happiness.
        For this, we are grateful.
        We ask You, at all times, to guide us.
        Help us daily to come closer to You, and grant us new ways of living our
        gratitude.

        Can anyone verify this?

        Glenn C. (South Bend, Indiana)