The two 1947 editions of The Little Red Book

  • Glenn Chesnut
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 14, 2007
      From Tommy Hickcox in Baton Rouge
      <cometkazie1@...> (cometkazie1 at cox.net)

      SUMMARY

      1946: first edition/printing of The Little Red
      Book

      1947: the one with the red cover seems to be
      the second edition/printing

      1947: the one with the maroon cover seems
      to be the third edition/printing

      [Moderator's note: Ed Webster refers to them
      as "printings," but when substantial changes
      are made in the text, which is what Ed was
      doing at this stage, we normally refer to them
      today as separate "editions."]

      * * * * * *

      The Little Red Book had two printings in the
      year 1947 and there are differences between the
      two volumes. Opinions have been offered which
      of the volumes was printed first and which
      second.

      The covers, title and copyright pages are as
      follows:

      * * * * * *

      One’s cover is distinctively red while the
      other’s is a dull maroon.

      - - -

      The title page of the red volume has:

      An Interpretation of
      THE TWELVE STEPS
      of the
      ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS PROGRAM

      - - -

      While the maroon volume has:

      An Interpretation of
      Alcoholics Anonymous Program
      of the
      The Twelve Steps

      - - -

      The copyright pages are identical except the
      red volume adds:

      First Printing August, 1946
      Second Printing January, 1947

      * * * * * *

      This would imply to me that the red volume was
      the second printing.

      Printing numbers were not published again
      until much later.

      It seemed to me one could make an educated guess
      as to which came first by comparing text. If
      there was a change in the text, did the change
      carry over to the printings of 1948 and 1949
      and assigned numbers four and five? Did one
      volume have material in common with the 4th and
      5th printings and not the other 1947 printing?

      * * * * * *

      A quick check of the first several pages gives
      enough material to make an educated guess.

      Author’s Note: red is one paragraph of 17
      lines; maroon is three paragraphs of 29 lines;
      4th/5th: 3 paragraphs of 23 lines but the
      lines have more words in them. The wording
      is identical to the maroon.

      p. 9; para 4, sent 1: red-The new comer often
      . . .; maroon-The newcomer too often . . .;
      4th/5th-The newcomer too often . . .

      p. 10; para 3; last sentence of maroon has
      * to footnote: Note paragraph 2, page 44, in
      the book, “ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS”; red does
      not have the footnote. 4th and 5th have the
      footnote.

      p.11; para 2, sent 1: red: The alcoholics who
      have recovered through the Alcoholics Anonymous
      movement . . .; maroon: The alcoholics who
      have recovered through the Alcoholics Anonymous
      Fellowship . . .; 4th/5th: Fellowship

      * * * * * *

      There is a list of reasons for failures in the
      A.A. program starting at the bottom of p. 11.
      Red has 9 reasons listed and maroon has 10.
      The first seven reasons are exactly the same,
      but the rest differ:

      Red 8. Those who have not been harmed sufficiently
      by alcohol often fail because drinking is not a
      matter of life and death with them. This group
      generally involves the men and women with
      relatively short alcoholic histories.

      Maroon 8. Those who see in alcoholism a moral
      problem rather than an illness.

      Red 9. Those who accept only a part of the
      Twelve-Step Program, who will not try to live
      it in its entirety. Those who wish to put a
      distorted selfish interpretation on all of the
      steps for purposes of their own convenience.

      Maroon 9. Those with relatively short alcoholic
      histories, to whom drinking is more an
      inconvenience than a matter of life or death.

      Maroon 10. [There is no Red 10.] Those who
      accept only a part of the Twelve-Step Program,
      who will not try to live it in its entirety.
      Those who wish to put a distorted selfish
      interpretation on all of the steps for purposes
      of their own convenience. Note-This is the
      same as Red 9.

      4th/5th: 4th the same as maroon. 5th adds
      another reason.

      p. 13, para 1: Red has alcoholism as a disease
      and Maroon as an illness. 4th/5th have illness.

      p. 13, para 2, last sentence: Maroon adds to
      the end of the sentence--have faith--keep open
      minded, and adds the footnote- *Read page 50
      in the book, “ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS” 4th/5th
      have the addition.

      I did not proceed farther with this analysis as
      I thought there was enough evidence to consider
      the red volume to be the second printing and the
      maroon volume to be the third printing as the
      changes the maroon volume has were carried on
      to later printings.

      I unfortunately do not have a first printing.

      Tommy in Baton Rouge
    • lakeportchris
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 4, 2012
        I think I sent this by direct message to Tommy H. But I thought I should post this here as well.

        "Tommy, I just read your study of the two 1947 printings of the "Little Red Book" in Message 4017 in the AAHistoryLovers page. I thought you would find my copy interestIng. I have, what appears to be a 1st edition, 2nd printing (1947) of the book.

        In your post, you said that you thought that the 2nd printings were a distinctly red cover. Mine, although a dull maroon, fits all of the discriprions on all of your points that you listed for the 2nd printing. For example my title page reads:

        "An Interpretation of
        THE TWELVE STEPS
        of the
        ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS PROGRAM"

        I don't know what to make of this. It seems perhaps, that before the text edits were made they ran some copies of the second printing with the maroon cover? I'd love to know how many were printed like this. Have you come across any like this since your post?

        I can email pictures if you would like to look at the book (I'm new to this forum, so I don't know if I can post pictures here.) If I can, I will do that. Let me know your thoughts.

        - Chris