New Member in NY

  • Joe
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2005
      Greetings, all.

      I'm in Greenwood Lake, NY (Town of Warwick; Orange County grid
      FN21).
      Building a 900 repeater (N2LJD/R on 927.9125 -25MHz PL 141.3).
      Joined
      the group in my continuing quest for "all information 900" I can find.

      Planning a low-power start-up (12W) until I'm convinced all is well;
      then plan to add an amp (~150W); then, as finances allow (I'm a lone
      operator/owner) IRLP and/or Echolink.

      Current equipment: two Motorola Maxtracs, second hand duplexer with
      circulator, abandoned 900MHz paging antennas and hardline. Antennas
      believed to be Celwave. Location 300' commercial satellite tower on
      Brady Mtn (total elev 1811'). I'm in eastern Catskills near West
      Point, so very mountainous terrain (which I know will greatly reduce
      coverage; the learning experience is my main goal at present).

      Any advice, pointers, warnings, danger signals, humour, etc.
      appreciated!

      73

      Joe
    • Joe
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2005
        Dur! Forgot to mention the NHRC-5 controller!

        --- In 900mhZ-N-Tucson@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <n2ljd@y...> wrote:
        <snip>

        > Current equipment: two Motorola Maxtracs, second hand duplexer with
        > circulator, abandoned 900MHz paging antennas and hardline. antennas
        > believed to be Celwave. Location 300' commercial satellite tower on
        Brady Mtn (total elev 1811'). I'm in eastern Catskills near West
        > Point, so very mountainous terrain (which I know will greatly reduce
        > coverage; the learning experience is my main goal at present).
        >
        > Any advice, pointers, warnings, danger signals, humour, etc.
        > appreciated!
        >
        > 73
        >
        > Joe

      • Walter
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2005
          Hi Joe:
          Looks like you are on the way. YOu seem to have all the parts.
          One hint: Use 1/4 inch super flex for you interconnect inside the
          repeater, and 1/2 inch hardline to the antenna. Losses at this freq.
          are very high if you use anything else.
          73
          Walt

          --- In 900mhZ-N-Tucson@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <n2ljd@y...> wrote:

          > Greetings, all.
          >
          > I'm in Greenwood Lake, NY (Town of Warwick; Orange County grid
          > FN21).
          > Building a 900 repeater (N2LJD/R on 927.9125 -25MHz PL 141.3).
          > Joined
          > the group in my continuing quest for "all information 900" I can
          find.

          > Planning a low-power start-up (12W) until I'm convinced all is
          well;
          > then plan to add an amp (~150W); then, as finances allow (I'm a
          lone
          > operator/owner) IRLP and/or Echolink.
          >
          > Current equipment: two Motorola Maxtracs, second hand duplexer
          with
          > circulator, abandoned 900MHz paging antennas and hardline.
          Antennas
          > believed to be Celwave. Location 300' commercial satellite tower
          on
          > Brady Mtn (total elev 1811'). I'm in eastern Catskills near West
          > Point, so very mountainous terrain (which I know will greatly
          reduce
          > coverage; the learning experience is my main goal at present).
          >
          > Any advice, pointers, warnings, danger signals, humour, etc.
          > appreciated!
          >
          > 73
          >
          > Joe

        • Joe
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 9, 2005
            Thanx for the feedback, much appreciated. The hardline at site is
            inch-and-a-half; assuming no degradation (still have to eyeball the
            whole 'thang') hopefully should be good. Double thanx on the
            interconnect tip, hadn't thought about that!

            73

            Joe