Re: [8thdivmodern] Re: Lee Barracks

  • Red Leg
    Message 1 of 45 , Mar 21, 2013
      I remember all the cars getting checked with mirrors and not just randomly, everyone one of them. Right before I got to 3/68 AR in June 83 I had heard of someone stealing a tank and heading toward downtown Mannheim. Also heard the tank fell off one of the bridges and the guy died. I ran across a pic on the internet of the tank getting pulled out of the water.

      I was in 4/69 Armor from 82 -85 at Lee Barracks.  Story was just before I got there a fellow "fell" out one of the 3rd story windows and broke his neck but survived.  Another was that some yahoo hung a Nazi flag out his window that almost caused a riot in Gonsenheim.  The thing I remember most was when the Beruit Marines were sent to Weisbaden.  Lee went on high alert with tanks in the street so you had to zig-zag onto the base.  We inspected all the cars with mirrors underneath.  I was in the front gate guard shack when we got a call thay someone was going to mortar the base.  Then there was rumor that a semi of explosives was found nearby.  The guess was the driver decided living was better than meeting up with his 40 virgins.  On the upside was the greek pizza place outside the base run by two brothers.  Good stuff.  Paul Thomas A co, 4/69 Armor "Speed and Power"

      Message 45 of 45 , Mar 25, 2013
        I heard that the guy was from C 3/68th