Veterans Day

  • krazy yankee
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 4, 2011

      This is my fourth year in a row doing this Veterans Day Posting and it's getting harder to do every year.  Please take the time on Veterans Day to THANK a VETERAN.  If this is not your cup of tea, then please by all means, just hit the delete button and move to your next e-mail.

      Let me start by saying "Thank you to all the people that I served with over my 20+ year career in the U.S. Army".

      I try to thank someone that has helped me throughout the years at one time or another.  So I will start the thank you process this year by thanking a U.S. Marine.  I was told that once a Marine always a Marine so, "Semper Fidelis Young Lady".  You always have time to help anyone who needs it, whether they work with you or not.  Yes, you know who you are, Red, so stand up and take a bow.  For the rest of the world who doesn't know her, her name is Shannon Denise Welder Bradley, Supervisor Police Administration at Fort Knox, Kentucky.  "Thank you".

      A special thanks also goes out to Veterans, Ms. Rachel Kowalski, Mr. Jamie Rogers, Deacon Henry, Officer Smart, and Officer Devine for being who you are.

      Two who are like brothers to me, Big John and my brother from a different mother, Ernie, thank you both.  John tell Mrs. "B" that I said hello.  A stand up NCO, always there when needed, Leon, thank you.  Sergeant Shawn Shultz, hang in there junior, it will get better, and tell Brenda that I said hello.

      Last, thank you mom for all you've done.  God please tell dad, thanks for all he's done.

      SSG Robert F. Walker Sr. (Ret.)
      -A-A-A-0-

      If you can read this THANK a TEACHER
      If you can read this in English THANK a VETERAN
    • Matthew Ginn

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 4, 2011
            Thank you SSG Walker
            For your service and also your reminder to thank a "veteran"
            Take care and take it easy

            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 4, 2011
              Thank you!!

[...]

            • Steve and Angela Purinton
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 4, 2011
                A short Story about me:

                In high school in the early 1980's I knew two things: I wanted to go to college, and I didn't have money for it.  So, I joined the Army in December of 1984.  Well, I signed in to DEP.  I actually went on July 23rd, 1985.  I went in with the guarantee of going to Europe (Germany) and GI Bill money for school afterword.  Strictly personal reasons.  I did not come from a military family.  I did not come from a recent migrant family.  I was not well off, nor poor.  I had not been particularly patriotic up to that point, and probably not for a while after I finished my active duty service.  I had served my country, been ready to go, but then was ready to go on with my life.  I thought I was finished with the military.  Some portion of me must have missed something about it because I soon joined the Reserves in Texas, and switched to the National Guard when I moved to Tennessee.  Then Desert Storm happened.  I didn't get called up.

                There was a show on tv at the time called Major Dad (I know, cheesy).  There was one episode in which all of the soldiers had applied to transfer to a unit that was over in Saudi Arabia.  The Major wrapped up the episode by saying that Uncle Sam had all the soldiers assigned to where they were most needed for the war effort.  That probably began my pride in the military, and in my past with it.  Not long after that episode, while at drill weekend, the unit was asked for volunteers to go over.  The first time they asked, I sad no, I was starting college in the Fall.  Next drill, they asked again.  I said yes.  My reason?  I had a choice to go or not.  The people who were there did not have a choice.  They got a call that said "Alert" and they left their lives here at home to serve their country.  I was presented as a replacement for one soldier to let them come home, to try to get their lives back in order.  College could wait another 6 months.  So, I went to Saudi Arabia.  I served.  I did not see combat.  It was over by the time I got there.  I did get to contribute to the cleanup effort.  Not glamourous, but needed.

                One day while visiting a friend who had gone before me, I was reading their community bulletin board.  There was a single post card from a soldier that had been able to go home because of our volunteering.  She had written a short note thanking us for volunteering to come over and take their place.  That was all the thanks that I ever needed.  One person recognized what we had done.  I wish I could have kept that card.  It probably wound up in the trash somewhere.  For many years after, people would thank me for my service.  It made (and still makes) me uncomfortable to be thanked.  I entered the military for personal reasons, not to be thanked.  I have come to accept and understand why people thank me, but I still get uncomfortable.  I graciously accept and move the conversation on.  I will thank a Vet whenever I meet one though.  Somehow I feel that it is different when I thank a Vet as I am one myself, part of a brotherhood.  I am now proud of my military service, of my country, and I wear my Veteran status with pride.

                I work in the security business at the local arenas (as a part-time hobby) and get to hear a lot of stars and people on microphones giving thanks en masse to the people currently serving, and those that have served.  I have grown somewhat cynical in the past few years though.  I feel that it has become almost a requirement that these people say this for they fear that they will be labeled as unsupportive of our military.  I feel that they are paying lip service without a lot of meaning to it.  It was quite a different experience this past September when my wife and I visited Mt Rushmore.  We were there for the lighting ceremony.  They played a video, then a park ranger came up and gave a history lesson of the United States.  As a final act, he called upon all current and past military people to please come to the stage. I went up to the stage, among the last to get there.  Amazingly, we all lined up in formation.  My wife said that she could tell we were all military because we were the only group that would be called to the stage and stand in formation instead of a mass group.  Once we were all assembled, the ranger turned to the crowd and spoke: "Take a look at these people.  These are the people that are serving and have served, that allow you to enjoy the freedoms that you enjoy."  Wow!  That was not lip service!  I really appreciated those words.  Upon leaving the stage, I said to the Vet in front of me, "and now we blend back into the the crowd."  We are everywhere, from everywhere.

                I write this on the 20 anniversary of my return from Desert Storm.  Wow!  20 years!  Thank you to all Veterans, to all supporters of Veterans, to our current military members, and their support staff (husbands, wives, parents, and children, etc etc).  Thanks also to the corporations that support (and mean it)  Veterans.  Like Golden Corral…

                Steve Purinton

                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 5, 2011
                    Steve,
                    Thank you for sharing your story. And thank you for serving, and being prepared to go if needed

                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 6, 2013
                      As most of you know by now, I do this every Veterans Day. I thank someone
                      who has somehow impacted my life in one way or another. This makes the sixth
                      (6th) year in a row. I hope to keep it going for many more years. Here goes.

                      This year I would like to thank, my hero, a gentleman that I met 61 years
                      ago. Yes, you heard me right, 61 years ago. My Father, Mr. Robert T. Walker.
                      He volunteered for military service during World War II. He was a Private
                      First Class in the United States Marine Corps. He landed on Iwo Jima at 0902
                      19 February 1945. He was wounded on 10 March 1945 and received the Purple
                      Heart for wounds received on Iwo Jima. Just a small wound, "a hole the size
                      of a grenade", and shrapnel for life. He met mom after the war, and they
                      were married in 1951. You taught us what we needed to know about life. You
                      let us fail only to pick us up and teach us again. There was unconditional
                      love. The kids in the neighborhood knew it. The teams you coached knew it.
                      Yes we bumped head, I thought I knew more than you many a time. It was not
                      until I got older that it sank in that he knew what he was talking about.
                      There was nothing you did not teach us, from learning how to ride a bike to
                      banging golf balls off the back of the house and everything in between. From
                      making a bird house in the house on Cherry Street, to learning to swim at
                      Tupper Lake, to learning how to throw a ball in the back yard on Locust
                      Street. You gave us every opportunity to succeed. You got cancer and you
                      would not let that get you down or slow you down. You remained positive
                      through all the treatments you had. "Don't think I ever told you this - one
                      day, in August 2001, when I was out to lunch with the ladies at the lake,
                      Dad and Uncle Joe went to lunch and Dad told Uncle Joe that he was ready to
                      go, as he had a good life, a good wife and good children." I just wish you
                      were still here so I could thank you in person. I love you.

                      Second, Ernie, my brother from another mother. Love you my older brother.
                      Mom always liked you best.

                      Reverend I can't forget you. Thank you for everything. Hang in there my
                      brother. Happy Birthday to your Corps. Tell Mrs. "B." I said hello. Also I
                      send my love to you both.

                      Also a big thanks to 1SG Devine, SGT Shultz, "V", my brothers Smart and
                      Minter, Leon, Steve, Chico where ever you might be, Buckwheat, and last PFC
                      John Stahl (USMC). John and Dad are looking down on us from Heaven, because
                      when a Marine dies he or she goes to Heaven and guards the Pearly Gates.

                      James Randall (Ike) Ikner US Army (26 Oct 2013) and Billy Wade McAlpin US
                      Navy (31 Oct 2013), Rest In Peace my brothers.

                      Lastly, again, a very big thank you goes out to SFC Lamar. He showed me the
                      wrong way to do things so that I learned to do them the right way. Thank
                      you.

                      Robert F. Walker Sr.

                      SSG, USA

                      Retired

                      -A-A-A-0-
                    • Jerry Abcd

                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 6, 2013
                            Robert,

                            Thanks much for taking the time to share that.  It never gets old hearing these stories and the emotions they invoke are always so bittersweet.

                            Happy Veteran's Day and thanks to all.

                            JP Menese  1/59th ADA 74-77

                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 7, 2013

                                Not a problem.