THE FINAL INSPECTION

  • krazy yankee
    Message 1 of 2 , May 21 6:41 PM

      THE FINAL
      INSPECTION
      The soldier stood and faced God,
       Which must always come to pass.
       He hoped his shoes were shining,
       Just as brightly as his brass..
      'Step forward now, soldier ,
       How shall I deal with you?
       Have you always turned the other cheek?
       To My Church have you been true?'
      The soldier squared his shoulders and said,
       'No, Lord, I guess I have not.
       Because those of us who carry guns,
       Can't always be a saint.
      I've had to work most Sundays,
       And at times my talk was tough.
       And sometimes I've been violent,
       Because the world is awfully rough.
      But, I never took a penny,
      That wasn't mine to keep...
      Though I worked a lot of overtime,
       When the bills just got too steep.
      And I never passed a cry for help,
      Though at times I shook with fear..
      And sometimes, God, forgive me,
       I've wept unmanly tears.
      I know I don't deserve a place,
      Among the people here.
      They never wanted me around,
       Except to calm their fears
      If you've a place for me here, Lord,
      It needn't be so grand.
      I never expected or had too much,
       But if you don't, I'll understand.

      There was a silence all around the throne,
      Where the saints had often trod.
      As the soldier waited quietly,
       For the judgment of his God.

      'Step forward now, you soldier,