Re: [8thdivmodern] Happy New Year!

  • Matthew Ginn
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2010
      Back in '89 we wrapped up the 31st of December with an end-of-year closeout on a dufflebag full of 'leftover' 8th ID pyro. Considering that most of it was launched from the balcony of my apartment straight over the top of USAREUR HQ, and the rest of it went straight down the middle of Romerstrasse (Heidelberg) along with all the passing traffic, it's a wonder we're not (still) in jail.

      On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 12:48 PM, william f smith <smids37@...> wrote:
      Happy new year  but  no
      shooting illum flares  or star
      clusters  or  heavy  weapons!

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         8thdivmodern-digest@yahoogroups.com
         8thdivmodern-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • william f smith
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2010
        Matt  you didn't  by  any  chance  recieve  training  from any  crazy Nam  vets  who served   with the 588th Maint Co ?  LOL   that is  the kind of  stuff we would have done.  Specially   the S&E  guys

           http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/8thdivmode rn/join

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 1, 2010
          More like a crazy 'nam vet who worked on TMDE for the 366th TFW in Da Nang in '68/'69 . . . but he'd deny having a guiding hand if anyone asked.

          I still remember a red star cluster chasing a BMW down the street, disappearing between the back wheels and then flying back out the front of the car before bursting into color a few meters further along.  Completely by chance, of course.

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 1, 2010
            yup   we  were  at Chu Lai  in 68-69   and I was  senior  recovery operator   and  being a  crazy Okie   well  stuff  just  happened. one of the  guys  was  a Raging Cajun  who had  not worn shoes until he got  drafted  and another  was a biker  dude  from southern Cal   and they  actually allowed us to have  guns and live ammo.  when we  survived  Nam   they  kicked the biker  dude out of the army  and  sent  me to Baumholder  and the Cajun  to Fort Hood.  He promptly  hauled ass to Australia. LOL

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 1, 2010
              Where in Australia?  I run into a few US vets here from time to time.

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 1, 2010
                I don't  know  he  stayed  a while  but now lives in Alexandria LA.  Saw him  back in July  He is still crazy.   ( I am  5 hours  from  him  in eastern OK )   You live in OZ?  I have a good  friend  from Nam  in Redcliffe

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 1, 2010
                  Still here in Canberra.  Redcliffe is up in Queensland, sort of like the distance between Charleston SC and Boston.  Old Army buddy, or?

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 1, 2010
                    no   Manley   worked  for  USO  as an entertainer.   I met him  in 68 during a rocket attack during one of their shows.  Aussie  band   Crazy  wild  bunch but  could  belt out  american  rock music.   Sevral years ago  he and I got in touch again by  chance.   We chat   on here  or by  phone occasionally

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 1, 2010
                      Yes -- these guys turn up in all the right places.