Re: [8thdivmodern] Re:Do you like hotdogs? I need your help...

  • jack cull
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008

                                                                      WW 11 TRIVIA

      You might enjoy this from history buff Col D. G. Swinford,USMC, Ret.

      You have to dig deep for facts like these:

      1. The first German serviceman killed in WW II was killed
      by the  Japanese (China, 1937), the first American serviceman
      killed was  killed by the Russians (Finland 1940); highest ranking
      American  killed was Lt Gen Lesley McNair, killed by the US Army Air
      Corps. So  much for allies.

      2. The youngest US serviceman was 12 year old Calvin
      Graham, USN. He  was wounded and given a Dishonorable Discharge for lying
      about his  age.  His benefits were later restored by act of Congress.

      3. At the time of Pearl Harbor, the top US Navy command was
      called  CINCUS (pronounced "sink us"), the shoulder patch
      of the US  Army's 45th Infantry division was the Swastika, and
      Hitler's private  train was named " Amerika."  All three were
      soon changed for PR  purposes.!

      4. More US servicemen died in the Air Corps than the
      Marine Corps.  While completing the required 30 missions, your chance of
      being  killed was 71%.

       5. Generally speaking, there was no such thing as an
      average fighter  pilot. You were either an ace or a target.
      For instance,  Japanese Ace  Hiroyoshi Nishizawa shot down over 80 planes.
      He died while a passenger on a cargo plane.

      6. It was a common practice on fighter planes to load
      every 5th round  with a tracer round to aid in aiming.
      This was a mistake.  Tracers had  different ballistics so (at long range)
      if your tracers  were hitting  the target 80% of your rounds were missing.
      Worse yet  tracers  instantly told your enemy he was under fire and from
      which direction.
      Worst of all was the practice of loading a string of  tracers at the
      end of the belt to tell you that you were out of ammo. This  was
      definitely not something you wanted to tell the enemy.  Units that
      stopped using tracers saw their success rate nearly double  and their
      loss rate go down.

       7. When allied armies reached the Rhine, the first thing
      men did was  pee in it. This was pretty universal from the lowest
      private to  Winston Churchill (who made a big show of it) and Gen.
      Patton, who  had himself photographed in the act.

      8. German Me-264 bombers were capable of bombing New York
      City, but they decided it wasn't worth the effort.

      9. German submarine U-120 was sunk by a malfunctioning toilet.

      10. Among the first "Germans" captured at  Normandy were
      several  Koreans. They had been forced to fight for the
      Japanese Army  until  they were captured by the Russians, and forced to
      fight for the  Russian Army until they were captured by the Germans,and
      forced to  fight for the German Army until they were captured by the
      US Army.

      SAVING THE BEST FOR LAST....

      11. Following a massive naval bombardment, 35,000 United  States and
      Canadian troops stormed ashore at Kiska, in the Aleutian  Islands. 21
      troops were killed in the assault. It would have been worse  if there
      had been any Japanese on the island.

      From: FA2930EX3@aol. com <FA2930EX3@aol. com>
      To: 8thdivmodern@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Sunday, November 30, 2008, 3:57 PM

      My first dinner out with my sponsor in Mannheim we went to a pizza restaurante.  The cola had no ice, the olives had pits, and you eat the pizza with a fork and knife.