Do you like hotdogs? I need your help...

  • jrileysrie
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 4, 2008
      Hey gang:

      Jim Riley here, from the ol' HHC, 1st Brigade, 8th I.D. in Mainz.
      Anyway, I have a little business, a very little business...a hot dog
      cart (Jim/E.'s Chicago Style Hot Dogs) here in West Texas (Eldorado,
      Menard and San Angelo).

      Anyway, I'd like to ask you guys to do a couple of things...please
      join my little yahoo group at:

      Then, if you really like hotdog carts and/or stands, post a picture
      of your favorite place(s) and send in a post telling me why? Tell me
      what you like(d) best about the cart or stand, the food, the
      ambiance, the customer service? What made or makes this place so
      special for you or in your memories?

      Remember the pomme frits (?) in Mainz? Have you seen other things
      that you might think would be a good addition?

      Sorry I haven't participated much, but you can't believe how busy
      I've been between my book and now this little business. I really
      hope you guys will participate and give me suggestions...

      Also, please take a look at our photo album...lots of pics of the
      cart and my customers, locations, events...and let me know what you
      think about what I'm doing...I really hope I'll get some advice from
      you all.

      Thanks,

      Jim Riley
      Jim/E.'s Chicago Style Hot Dogs
      also ~ author of Daydreams & Nightmares
      www.lulu.com/content/210331
    • FA2930EX3@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 5, 2008
        I cannot eat alot of hotdogs now, I have genetic hi cholesterol. But I love jumbo hotdogs with mustard and kraut. I figure if an asteroid comes to smash into the Earth, I'll sit on my deck eating hotdogs and watch that thing with my binos.

        In a message dated 10/4/2008 9:25:51 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, jrileysrie@... writes:
        Jim Riley here, from the ol' HHC, 1st Brigade, 8th I.D. in Mainz.
        Anyway, I have a little business, a very little business...a hot dog
        cart (Jim/E.'s Chicago Style Hot Dogs) here in West Texas (Eldorado,
        Menard and San Angelo).

        Anyway, I'd like to ask you guys to do a couple of things...please
        join my little yahoo group at:

        New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News & more. Try it out!
      • Robert M. Hefley
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 21, 2008
          Take a look at the Hallo Berlin cart at 54th & 5th here in NYC (http://www.halloberlinrestaurant.com/) and you'll understand...
        • jp2spidey@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 21, 2008
            that "rom" schnitzel brought tears to my eyes.  what memories.  we called it a "rom" schnitzel but not sure of the spelling.  we ate at "ralphs" 2 to 3 times a week in 75 thru 77....just a few blocks down from mccully barracks.

          • aircooled53
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 29, 2008
              --- In 8thdivmodern@yahoogroups.com, jp2spidey@... wrote:

              > that "rom" schnitzel brought tears to my eyes. what memories. we
              called it
              > a "rom" schnitzel but not sure of the spelling. we ate at "ralphs"
              2 to 3
              > times a week in 75 thru 77....just a few blocks down from mccully
              barracks.
              > **************New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your
              destination.
              > Dining, Movies, Events, News & more. Try it out

              Schnitzel with pomme frittes. Only schnitzel are fried and jager or zrol.
            • FA2930EX3@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 30, 2008
                with salad. That's all I knew how to order in Germany for months when I first got there.

                Steve
                3/8 CAV 84-86

                In a message dated 11/29/2008 1:03:34 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, aircooled53@... writes:
                Schnitzel with pomme frittes.

              • jack cull

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 30, 2008
                    My first dinner out with my sponsor in Mannheim we went to a pizza restaurante.  The cola had no ice, the olives had pits, and you eat the pizza with a fork and knife.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 30, 2008
                      i don't ever recall ice being used with drinks on the economy

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 30, 2008
                        Yeah, I learned that too.   Once when the 3/8 CAV was at Wildflecken, the German lunch wagon would come around to our tent city.  It would be blowing snow outside, and here we are lining up to buy ice cream sundaes. Then we all crowd around the stove and eat ice cream.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008

                                                                                          WW 11 TRIVIA

                          You might enjoy this from history buff Col D. G. Swinford,USMC, Ret.

                          You have to dig deep for facts like these:

                          1. The first German serviceman killed in WW II was killed
                          by the  Japanese (China, 1937), the first American serviceman
                          killed was  killed by the Russians (Finland 1940); highest ranking
                          American  killed was Lt Gen Lesley McNair, killed by the US Army Air
                          Corps. So  much for allies.

                          2. The youngest US serviceman was 12 year old Calvin
                          Graham, USN. He  was wounded and given a Dishonorable Discharge for lying
                          about his  age.  His benefits were later restored by act of Congress.

                          3. At the time of Pearl Harbor, the top US Navy command was
                          called  CINCUS (pronounced "sink us"), the shoulder patch
                          of the US  Army's 45th Infantry division was the Swastika, and
                          Hitler's private  train was named " Amerika."  All three were
                          soon changed for PR  purposes.!

                          4. More US servicemen died in the Air Corps than the
                          Marine Corps.  While completing the required 30 missions, your chance of
                          being  killed was 71%.

                           5. Generally speaking, there was no such thing as an
                          average fighter  pilot. You were either an ace or a target.
                          For instance,  Japanese Ace  Hiroyoshi Nishizawa shot down over 80 planes.
                          He died while a passenger on a cargo plane.

                          6. It was a common practice on fighter planes to load
                          every 5th round  with a tracer round to aid in aiming.
                          This was a mistake.  Tracers had  different ballistics so (at long range)
                          if your tracers  were hitting  the target 80% of your rounds were missing.
                          Worse yet  tracers  instantly told your enemy he was under fire and from
                          which direction.
                          Worst of all was the practice of loading a string of  tracers at the
                          end of the belt to tell you that you were out of ammo. This  was
                          definitely not something you wanted to tell the enemy.  Units that
                          stopped using tracers saw their success rate nearly double  and their
                          loss rate go down.

                           7. When allied armies reached the Rhine, the first thing
                          men did was  pee in it. This was pretty universal from the lowest
                          private to  Winston Churchill (who made a big show of it) and Gen.
                          Patton, who  had himself photographed in the act.

                          8. German Me-264 bombers were capable of bombing New York
                          City, but they decided it wasn't worth the effort.

                          9. German submarine U-120 was sunk by a malfunctioning toilet.

                          10. Among the first "Germans" captured at  Normandy were
                          several  Koreans. They had been forced to fight for the
                          Japanese Army  until  they were captured by the Russians, and forced to
                          fight for the  Russian Army until they were captured by the Germans,and
                          forced to  fight for the German Army until they were captured by the
                          US Army.

                          SAVING THE BEST FOR LAST....

                          11. Following a massive naval bombardment, 35,000 United  States and
                          Canadian troops stormed ashore at Kiska, in the Aleutian  Islands. 21
                          troops were killed in the assault. It would have been worse  if there
                          had been any Japanese on the island.