Greetings to All

  • halvenut
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 18, 2008
      Hello,
      I am new to this site and would like to say hello to all. I served with
      Charlie 1/87 from March of 1972 through August of 1974. I was a driver
      and the company partsclerk, working mostly in the motor pool. I drove
      all the track and wheel vehicles assigned to the unit at the time.
      M113, M114, M578, jeep, Duece and a half and the Gama Goat. Would like
      to hear from all that served in that time era in beautifull Baumholder,
      the vacation captital of Europe. Would really love to re-connect with
      people that I served with, especially old buds from those days.
      Ollie Williams
    • jack cull
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 18, 2008
        Welcome Ollie - I as a little before your time - 56 and 57 and had actually only about a month at Baumholder, as we had just relocated there befor i returned to the states.
        John Culloton C battery 28th FA

      • charlie5486@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 18, 2008
          Hello Ollie,
          I was in beautiful Baumholder from Mar. 72 to Oct.74 in Charlie Co. 1/13th Inf.
          I was driving around in a M113 too.

          In a message dated 2/18/2008 8:05:06 A.M. Central Standard Time, halvenut@... writes:

          Hello,
          I am new to this site and would like to say hello to all. I served with
          Charlie 1/87 from March of 1972 through August of 1974. I was a driver
          and the company partsclerk, working mostly in the motor pool. I drove
          all the track and wheel vehicles assigned to the unit at the time.
          M113, M114, M578, jeep, Duece and a half and the Gama Goat. Would like
          to hear from all that served in that time era in beautifull Baumholder,
          the vacation captital of Europe. Would really love to re-connect with
          people that I served with, especially old buds from those days.
          Ollie Williams

        • Turner, James L (US SSA)
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 18, 2008

            Ollie - Welcome to our site, we have a ton of pictures feel free to add any you desire. We also have database with 80-90 names e-mail, etc add yours if you would like and check for friends.

            Jim Turner 3/68 Armor 69-71

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 18, 2008
              To Charlie 5486, If I remeber correctly your unit was on the other
              side of the base from mine. Over past the Wagon Wheel theatre and the
              main snack bar cafeteria. We probaly covered some of the same ground,
              while in country.
              Halvenut--- In 8thdivmodern@yahoogroups.com, charlie5486@... wrote:

              > Hello Ollie,
              > I was in beautiful Baumholder from Mar. 72 to Oct.74 in Charlie Co.
              1/13th
              > Inf.
              > I was driving around in a M113 too.
              >

              > In a message dated 2/18/2008 8:05:06 A.M. Central Standard Time,
              > halvenut@... writes:
              >

              > Hello,
              > I am new to this site and would like to say hello to all. I served
              with
              > Charlie 1/87 from March of 1972 through August of 1974. I was a
              driver
              > and the company partsclerk, working mostly in the motor pool. I
              drove
              > all the track and wheel vehicles assigned to the unit at the time.
              > M113, M114, M578, jeep, Duece and a half and the Gama Goat. Would
              like
              > to hear from all that served in that time era in beautifull
              Baumholder,
              > the vacation captital of Europe. Would really love to re-connect
              with
              > people that I served with, especially old buds from those days.
              > Ollie Williams
              >

              > **************Ideas to please picky eaters. Watch video on AOL
              Living.
              > (http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel-
              campos-duffy/
              > 2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

            • charlieca1
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 19, 2008
                If you go to this website you can zoom right in on Baumholder and see
                all the buildings.
                http://maps.live.com/

              • FA2930EX3@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 19, 2008
                  Well, Coleman Barracks is still there....

                  In a message dated 2/19/2008 1:48:59 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, charlie5486@... writes:
                  you go to this website you can zoom right in on Baumholder and see
                  all the buildings.
                  http://maps. live.com/

                • krazy yankee
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 19, 2008
                    Ollie,

                    Welcome. I was in C Co. 1/39, 1972-1974. Worked
                    in the motor pool as the recovery vehicle
                    operator. Drove our M114 to the loading point
                    and sent it on its way. Marched on the Battalion
                    Color Guard. Baumholder, the Armys best kept
                    secret.

                    Robert
                    AAA0
                    72-74

                    --- halvenut <halvenut@...> wrote:

                    > Hello,
                    > I am new to this site and would like to say
                    > hello to all. I served with
                    > Charlie 1/87 from March of 1972 through August
                    > of 1974. I was a driver
                    > and the company partsclerk, working mostly in
                    > the motor pool. I drove
                    > all the track and wheel vehicles assigned to
                    > the unit at the time.
                    > M113, M114, M578, jeep, Duece and a half and
                    > the Gama Goat. Would like
                    > to hear from all that served in that time era
                    > in beautifull Baumholder,
                    > the vacation captital of Europe. Would really
                    > love to re-connect with
                    > people that I served with, especially old buds
                    > from those days.
                    > Ollie Williams
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >
                    > (Yahoo! ID required)

                    mailto:8thdivmodern-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    If you can READ this THANK a TEACHER
                    If you can READ this in ENGLISH THANK a VETERAN

                    Be a better friend, newshound, and
                  • Matthew Ginn
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 20, 2008
                      Ollie,

                      Good to hear from you.  I was there a bit after your time (1/39 Inf - '86/'89) but even though your unit had departed by the time I arrived, the 1/87 colours were still painted up on the giant mural up at 2 BDE HQ.

                      Believe it or not, we were still using those M-113s and jeeps when I got there, although we finally moved to Bradleys.

                      You're the first guy I've heard from who served with the 87th in Baumholder.  Any idea when your old unit redesignated or left?

                      AAAO!

                      Matt Ginn

                      --- halvenut <halvenut@...> wrote:

                      > Hello,
                      > I am new to this site and would like to say
                      > hello to all. I served with
                      > Charlie 1/87 from March of 1972 through August
                      > of 1974. I was a driver
                      > and the company partsclerk, working mostly in
                      > the motor pool. I drove
                      > all the track and wheel vehicles assigned to
                      > the unit at the time.
                      > M113, M114, M578, jeep, Duece and a half and
                      > the Gama Goat. Would like
                      > to hear from all that served in that time era
                      > in beautifull Baumholder,
                      > the vacation captital of Europe. Would really
                      > love to re-connect with
                      > people that I served with, especially old buds
                      > from those days.
                      > Ollie Williams
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links
                      >
                      > (Yahoo! ID required)

                      mailto:8thdivmodern-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      If you can READ this THANK a TEACHER
                      If you can READ this in ENGLISH THANK a VETERAN

                      Be a better friend, newshound, and

                    • ollie williams
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 21, 2008
                        Hi Matt,
                        Sorry for the delay in replying, long week. I'm not sure but I believe that I saw it posted on the division messages, when the unit was reassigned.
                        Ollie

                        Ollie

                      • ollie williams
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 21, 2008
                          Robert,
                          Good to hear from someone that was in Baumholder during the same time period. I was the backup operator on our VTR. I was at the railhead numerous times, sending tracks to Graff and other places. Where you there when the whole V Corp deployed to the Fulda Gap, for a show strength to the Russians? I believe it was the winter of '72. I have a lot of memories of driving vehicles, both tracked and wheel, through those little German towns and villages when going to the field or out for training. Did you ever venture into the downtown Baunholder night scene?
                          Ollie

                          Ollie

                        • krazy yankee
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 22, 2008
                            Ollie,

                            I had a guy I went to High School with was in
                            1/87 till about 1973. For the life of me I can't
                            remember his name. He was a Grunt.

                            We hit the rail head on a regular basis. I can
                            remember posting the guards in my 2 1/2ton after
                            all the terrorist activities started. It took 1
                            1/2 hours to post someone that was there for 2
                            hours. No rest for the wicked.

                            Downtown night life, been there done that and on
                            a regular basis.

                            My barracks was right across the street from
                            PX/Snack bar, Bowling alley, Movie theater,
                            clothing sales, Barber shop, Watch repair. If
                            you walked out of the Snack bar, across the
                            parking lot, across the street, up the hill, you
                            would walk into my barracks.

                            Robert
                            72-74
                            AAA0

                            --- ollie williams <halvenut@...> wrote:

                            > Robert,
                            > Good to hear from someone that was in
                            > Baumholder during the same time period. I was
                            > the backup operator on our VTR. I was at the
                            > railhead numerous times, sending tracks to
                            > Graff and other places. Where you there when
                            > the whole V Corp deployed to the Fulda Gap, for
                            > a show strength to the Russians? I believe it
                            > was the winter of '72. I have a lot of memories
                            > of driving vehicles, both tracked and wheel,
                            > through those little German towns and villages
                            > when going to the field or out for training.
                            > Did you ever venture into the downtown
                            > Baunholder night scene?
                            > Ollie
                            >

                            > Ollie
                            >

                            > ---------------------------------
                            > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all
                            > with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

                            If you can READ this THANK a TEACHER
                            If you can READ this in ENGLISH THANK a VETERAN

                            Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                          • ollie williams
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 23, 2008
                              Hi Robert,
                              Yes, I also remember the terrorist attacks. I was supposed to be leaving for Munich, to attend the boxing matches, when all hell broke loose. A  lot of time spent on guard duty, as security was really tightened up. ID cards required even when in uniform for entry to PX, etc.
                              I remember where your barracks was located. Ours was on the other side of the PX and Brigade headquarters. It was down over the hill towards the tank trails. I would tell you the direction { north etc.}, but I would be guessing, since I can't remember exactly. I knew a lot of the guys in my unit that were in the line platoons. With the exception of a few idiots, we all seemed to get along well.
                              When I first arrived in country, we were billeted in the German Jasen there in Baum holder.
                              I'm not sure of the spelling but I believe it was called Offenbach. It was heading out of the post, out by the large Iron doors that where sealed and locked shut. Do you remember them? They were supposedly and opening to the inside of the mountain, where the Nazi's stored all kinds of tanks and equipment underground. There was a stairwell in our motor pool latrine, that was under ground, that led to this network. It was flooded by the Allies and a sign was posted warning against entry.
                              What I always found funny about the town, was the amount of bars for the small size of the town. I went downtown a lot at first, but then I learned about the outlying towns and area, once I had a car. I spent a lot of evenings at the guesthouse at Allenbach, even after moving back to main base, the Rod and Gun Club and the NCO Club. I was an AJ or acting Sergeant, for about two years.
                              I lived of post for the last year and a half with my first wife. I lived not far from the Government housing area. There was an Esso station on the corner of the one strasse, and I can't remember the name of it. But the house I lived in was at In Der Schwartze Grubbe 33. Our apartment was a finished basement and I paid about 300 marks or so in rent. I had a great landlord and I became friends with him and the whole family. Most of the neighbors { locals}, were great also. My one neighbor that was a GI was with the MP unit on base.
                              I have a lot of good memories about the time I spent there, with only a few bad ones. If I ever hit the lotto or inherit enough cash, I would love to take my current wife and Daughter to Germany and show them the area I was stationed at.
                              Ollie

                              Ollie