Re: [8thdivmodern] Christmas

  • charlie5486@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
      Well I'm from Louisiana and Baumholder was thermal shock to me.

      Bill
      Charlie Co. 1/13th Inf. 73-74

      In a message dated 1/2/2008 7:29:55 A.M. Central Standard Time, james.l.turner@... writes:

      Hope all had a Merry Christmas and will have a Happy New Year – I’ve been away from computers for the last two weeks, meant to send a message prior to going into seclusion!

      I live in a climate similar to Baumholder, only colder and drive on hills everyday to work just like Baumholder. So Germany was not a thermal shock to me!

      Hoppe we increase our membership this year and are able to reconnect with old friends from the 8th ID.

      Jim Turner 3/68 Armor 69-71

      _,___

    • Turner, James L (US SSA)

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                Did anyone ever serve at Fort Benning?  We were there for USAR Annual Training ( 91st DIV) back in the early 80s. I had to survey post maps and locate training areas.  There was a special training area that covered a 1-Kilometer grid square perfectly. Anyone know what was done there?  I'm thinking it was Special Forces.

                In a message dated 1/2/2008 6:54:48 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, james.l.turner@... writes:
                I did basic training at Fort Polk in Feb-May 1969, the weather was decent. I remember we were in the South Fort and the infamous Tiger Land was in the North Fort. We were restricted to the company area fort all of the Basic Training due to outbreaks of Spinal Meningitis. Never did get to venture to any of the local towns, etc.

              • mark currier
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
                  I was there for the CRC ready to deploy to OIF in 05
                  --- FA2930EX3@... wrote:

                  > Did anyone ever serve at Fort Benning? We were
                  > there for USAR Annual
                  > Training ( 91st DIV) back in the early 80s. I had to
                  > survey post maps and locate
                  > training areas. There was a special training area
                  > that covered a 1-Kilometer
                  > grid square perfectly. Anyone know what was done
                  > there? I'm thinking it was
                  > Special Forces.
                  >

                  > In a message dated 1/2/2008 6:54:48 A.M. Pacific
                  > Standard Time,
                  > james.l.turner@... writes:
                  >
                  > I did basic training at Fort Polk in Feb-May 1969,
                  > the weather was decent.
                  > I remember we were in the South Fort and the
                  > infamous Tiger Land was in the
                  > North Fort. We were restricted to the company area
                  > fort all of the Basic
                  > Training due to outbreaks of Spinal Meningitis.
                  > Never did get to venture to any of
                  > the local towns, etc.
                  >

                  > **************************************See AOL's top
                  > rated recipes

                  Be a better friend, newshound, and
                • Bill
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 23, 2008
                    I was at Ft Polk from March to June of 71. I got to spend some
                    quality time in beautiful Leesville, La. It was a wild place back
                    then. After training in Ft Polk I got stationed in Germany and went
                    almost immediately to some training operations in Baumholder. I
                    think it snowed my first night there. I went from 95 degrees to 30
                    degrees in about a weeks time.

                    --- In 8thdivmodern@yahoogroups.com, charlie5486@... wrote:

                    > I was at Ft. Polk too, in late 72. Good thing they didn't let you
                    out on the
                    > town they didn't call Leesville "Diseaseville" for nothing and
                    it wasn't
                    > Meningitis.
                    >

                    > In a message dated 1/2/2008 8:54:48 A.M. Central Standard Time,
                    > james.l.turner@... writes:
                    >

                    > I did basic training at Fort Polk in Feb-May 1969, the weather
                    was decent.
                    > I remember we were in the South Fort and the infamous Tiger Land
                    was in the
                    > North Fort. We were restricted to the company area fort all of
                    the Basic
                    > Training due to outbreaks of Spinal Meningitis. Never did get to
                    venture to any of
                    > the local towns, etc.
                    >
                    > Jim Turner
                    >

                    > Well I'm from Louisiana and Baumholder was thermal shock to me.
                    >

                    > Bill
                    >
                    > Charlie Co. 1/13th Inf. 73-74
                    >

                    > In a message dated 1/2/2008 7:29:55 A.M. Central Standard Time,
                    > james.l.turner@In a messagIn a messag
                    >

                    > Hope all had a Merry Christmas and will have a Happy New Year â€"
                    I’ve been
                    > away from computers for the last two weeks, meant to send a
                    message prior to
                    > going into seclusion!
                    > I live in a climate similar to Baumholder, only colder and drive
                    on hills
                    > everyday to work just like Baumholder. So Germany was not a
                    thermal shock to
                    > me!
                    > Hoppe we increase our membership this year and are able to
                    reconnect with
                    > old friends from the 8th ID.
                    >
                    > Jim Turner 3/68 Armor 69-71
                    > _,___

                    > See AOL's _top rated recipes_
                    and _easy ways to stay in shape_
                    > (http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?
                    NCID=aoltop00030000000003) for winter.

                  • charlie5486@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 23, 2008
                      I left Ft. Polk and then went to Frankfurt in Mar. 73 and when I got off the plane it was snowing.