Christmas

  • Matthew Ginn
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 21 3:30 PM
      Gents,

      Here's wishing you and yours a good one.

      Christmas 1987:  cold, cold, cold.  I seem to recall that it was the coldest winter since the Germans went into Russia in 1941.  Remember being up at the GDP that year, TC'ing the 113 and surveying a very quiet frozen landscape through that remarkably clear winter air, nothing stirring, smoke from a few fireplaces, windows iced over, light snow and frost on the ground, perhaps a trace of cloud.

      Right now we're having some Baumholder weather, sky to the ground and the rain lashing in from every direction.

      Must admit, am having a much more comfortable time of it today than I'd be having back then.

      AAAO!
    • ED
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 21 9:21 PM
        --- In 8thdivmodern@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Ginn"
        <matthewginn@...> wrote:

        > Gents,
        >
        > Here's wishing you and yours a good one.
        >
        > Christmas 1987: cold, cold, cold. I seem to recall that it was
        the coldest
        > winter since the Germans went into Russia in 1941. Remember being
        up at the
        > GDP that year, TC'ing the 113 and surveying a very quiet frozen
        landscape
        > through that remarkably clear winter air, nothing stirring, smoke
        from a few
        > fireplaces, windows iced over, light snow and frost on the ground,
        perhaps a
        > trace of cloud.
        >
        > Right now we're having some Baumholder weather, sky to the ground
        and the
        > rain lashing in from every direction.
        >
        > Must admit, am having a much more comfortable time of it today
        than I'd be
        > having back then.
        >
        > AAAO!

        to all 1/13 1/139 2/68 troops merry christmas
      • FA2930EX3@aol.com

            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 22 10:37 AM
              When I was at Fort Lewis, some cadre NCO remarked that they need infantry weather to run an FTX.  I was thinking they meant rainy or cloudy.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 23 8:34 PM
                    I graduated AIT December 4th 1970 at Fork Polk La.
                    That day it was 84 degrees there. I flew to my next
                    duty station the same day Fort Knox Ky. It was 27 and
                    snow. Talk about a WAKE UP call lol. Merry
                    Christmas To all the 8th I.D. 40 Rounds

                    recipes<http://food.aol.com/top-rated-recipes?NCID=aoltop00030000000004>and

                    shape<http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aoltop00030000000003>for
                    > winter.

                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                  • Turner, James L (US SSA)
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008

                      Hope all had a Merry Christmas and will have a Happy New Year – I’ve been away from computers for the last two weeks, meant to send a message prior to going into seclusion!

                      I live in a climate similar to Baumholder, only colder and drive on hills everyday to work just like Baumholder. So Germany was not a thermal shock to me!

                      Hoppe we increase our membership this year and are able to reconnect with old friends from the 8th ID.

                      Jim Turner 3/68 Armor 69-71

                      _,___

                    • charlie5486@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                        Well I'm from Louisiana and Baumholder was thermal shock to me.

                        Bill
                        Charlie Co. 1/13th Inf. 73-74

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                                  Did anyone ever serve at Fort Benning?  We were there for USAR Annual Training ( 91st DIV) back in the early 80s. I had to survey post maps and locate training areas.  There was a special training area that covered a 1-Kilometer grid square perfectly. Anyone know what was done there?  I'm thinking it was Special Forces.

                                  In a message dated 1/2/2008 6:54:48 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, james.l.turner@... writes:
                                  I did basic training at Fort Polk in Feb-May 1969, the weather was decent. I remember we were in the South Fort and the infamous Tiger Land was in the North Fort. We were restricted to the company area fort all of the Basic Training due to outbreaks of Spinal Meningitis. Never did get to venture to any of the local towns, etc.

                                • mark currier
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
                                    I was there for the CRC ready to deploy to OIF in 05
                                    --- FA2930EX3@... wrote:

                                    > Did anyone ever serve at Fort Benning? We were
                                    > there for USAR Annual
                                    > Training ( 91st DIV) back in the early 80s. I had to
                                    > survey post maps and locate
                                    > training areas. There was a special training area
                                    > that covered a 1-Kilometer
                                    > grid square perfectly. Anyone know what was done
                                    > there? I'm thinking it was
                                    > Special Forces.
                                    >

                                    > In a message dated 1/2/2008 6:54:48 A.M. Pacific
                                    > Standard Time,
                                    > james.l.turner@... writes:
                                    >
                                    > I did basic training at Fort Polk in Feb-May 1969,
                                    > the weather was decent.
                                    > I remember we were in the South Fort and the
                                    > infamous Tiger Land was in the
                                    > North Fort. We were restricted to the company area
                                    > fort all of the Basic
                                    > Training due to outbreaks of Spinal Meningitis.
                                    > Never did get to venture to any of
                                    > the local towns, etc.
                                    >

                                    > **************************************See AOL's top
                                    > rated recipes

                                    Be a better friend, newshound, and
                                  • Bill
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 23, 2008
                                      I was at Ft Polk from March to June of 71. I got to spend some
                                      quality time in beautiful Leesville, La. It was a wild place back
                                      then. After training in Ft Polk I got stationed in Germany and went
                                      almost immediately to some training operations in Baumholder. I
                                      think it snowed my first night there. I went from 95 degrees to 30
                                      degrees in about a weeks time.

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 23, 2008
                                        I left Ft. Polk and then went to Frankfurt in Mar. 73 and when I got off the plane it was snowing.