Second Group Package

  • Matthew Davis
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 1, 2006
      To All The Great 8th ID Soldiers: The second group package arrived early this morning and immediately was put to use. My soldiers and I really appreciate these care packages, and they make the Baghdad tour that much easier to handle. Things are going well in our unit and we are doing the missions that are directed to us. Nothing is ever easy in a wartime situation but the American soldier is the best in the world!!! Please all be safe and God bless.    SFC Matt Davis  (AAAO 83-85)

    • christof139
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 1, 2006
        Matt, Glad to hear things are OK somewhat. Did you get my 27-pound
        package yet with the little ditty about Kilroy and Briggs or IB
        written on it??

        Take care, Chris-toe-fur

        --- In 8thdivmodern@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Davis
        <runner_ravis@...> wrote:

        > To All The Great 8th ID Soldiers: The second group package arrived
        early this morning and immediately was put to use. My soldiers and I
        really appreciate these care packages, and they make the Baghdad
        tour that much easier to handle. Things are going well in our unit
        and we are doing the missions that are directed to us. Nothing is
        ever easy in a wartime situation but the American soldier is the
        best in the world!!! Please all be safe and God bless. SFC Matt
        Davis (AAAO 83-85)

        > ---------------------------------
        > Low, Low, Low Rates! Check out Yahoo! Messenger's cheap PC-to-
        Phone call rates.

      • FA2930EX3@aol.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 1, 2006
          What do you need the most over there?

          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 2, 2006
            We need toothbrushes, toothpaste, bar soap, calling cards, chapstick, dvd movies (action/horror), sheets. These are the items in the biggest demand. If we have any extra items they always go to the other platoons. Thanks.   Matt Davis

            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 2, 2006
              Chris: I have not yet received the package you sent out. It probably is taking its sweet time getting over here. I will definately let you know when it arrives. I wouldn't be too concerned about it because it will eventually get here. Thanks for your support.   Matt Davis (AAAO 83-85 "4-deuce")

              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 2, 2006
                In a message dated 11/2/2006 1:09:56 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, runner_ravis@... writes:
                We need toothbrushes, toothpaste, bar soap, calling cards, chapstick, dvd movies (action/horror) , sheets. These are the items in the biggest demand. If we have any extra items they always go to the other platoons.
                I'll check out the local stores this weekend or after work.  Thats alot of stuff to list on a Customs form.   I wonder, why do we need a Customs Form if its going to an APO ?
              • FA2930EX3@aol.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 2, 2006
                  In a message dated 11/2/2006 1:17:28 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, runner_ravis@... writes:
                  Chris: I have not yet received the package you sent out. It probably is taking its sweet time getting over here. I will definately let you know when it arrives. I wouldn't be too concerned about it because it will eventually get here. Thanks for your support.
                  maybe it went by row boat, and the guy stopped to take a nap in Iceland.
                • Matthew Davis
                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 2, 2006
                    You're probably right Chris. Stranger things have happened to the mail before.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 2, 2006
                      Everything coming to, or going from, an APO has to have a customs form. All packages that I have sent home needed a customs form. If there is no form on the package then it will be sent back to the sender. That is what we were told over here. The government is really cracking down on shipments.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 2, 2006
                        Back in the mid-80's, they just started cracking down on grey market auto shipping from Germany back to the USA.   Seems troops would ship a car to Germany, and then bring a German car home.   Sell it, and make a nice profit.  I didn't do that, but I heard stories about how the car didn't pass smog or was held at the port.  The DM Rate was around 3.15DM for $1.00.  We had PFCs driving Porsche 911's.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 3, 2006
                          I remember those days very well. The highest the DM rate got when I was there was 3.50 for $1.00

                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 3, 2006
                            OK, thanx Matt. Maybe because it weighs 27-puonds it went by ship
                            instead of plane, I don't know, but I mailed it on 10-20-06.

                            Chris

                            <runner_ravis@...> wrote:

                            > Chris: I have not yet received the package you sent out. It
                            probably is taking its sweet time getting over here. I will
                            definately let you know when it arrives. I wouldn't be too concerned
                            about it because it will eventually get here. Thanks for your
                            support. Matt Davis (AAAO 83-85 "4-deuce")
                            > christof139 <christof139@...> wrote: Matt, Glad to hear
                            things are OK somewhat. Did you get my 27-pound
                            > package yet with the little ditty about Kilroy and Briggs or IB
                            > written on it??
                            >
                            > Take care, Chris-toe-fur
                            >
                            > --- In 8thdivmodern@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Davis
                            > <runner_ravis@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > To All The Great 8th ID Soldiers: The second group package
                            arrived
                            > early this morning and immediately was put to use. My soldiers and
                            > really appreciate these care packages, and they make the Baghdad
                            > tour that much easier to handle. Things are going well in our unit
                            > and we are doing the missions that are directed to us. Nothing is
                            > ever easy in a wartime situation but the American soldier is the
                            > best in the world!!! Please all be safe and God bless. SFC Matt
                            > Davis (AAAO 83-85)
                            > >
                            > > ---------------------------------
                            > > Low, Low, Low Rates! Check out Yahoo! Messenger's cheap PC-to-
                            > Phone call rates.
                            > >

                            > ---------------------------------
                            > Cheap Talk? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call
                            rates.

                          • christof139
                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 3, 2006
                              Could be, as it weighs 27-pounds. The 1st package I sent got there
                              in 7-days, but weighed only 12-pounds 4.4oz.

                              The heavier 2nd package may have indeed taken the proverbial 'slow
                              boat to China'.

                              Chris

                              Message 14 of 24 , Nov 4, 2006
                                In a message dated 11/3/2006 9:01:25 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, christof139@... writes:
                                OK, thanx Matt. Maybe because it weighs 27-puonds it went by ship
                                instead of plane, I don't know, but I mailed it on 10-20-06.
                                27 pounds?  Maybe they opened it for inspection.
                              • FA2930EX3@aol.com

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Nov 4, 2006
                                    Could be the proverbial 'slow boat to China', a canoe or bateaux
                                    might be faster.

                                    Has your package arrived yet??

                                    Chris

                                    --- In 8thdivmodern@yahoogroups.com, FA2930EX3@... wrote:

                                    > Maybe some guy is trying to cross the ocean in an old M113 with
                                    your package.

                                    > In a message dated 11/3/2006 9:08:45 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                                    > christof139@... writes:
                                    >
                                    > Could be, as it weighs 27-pounds. The 1st package I sent got
                                    there
                                    > in 7-days, but weighed only 12-pounds 4.4oz.
                                    >
                                    > The heavier 2nd package may have indeed taken the
                                    proverbial 'slow
                                    > boat to China'.

                                  • christof139
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Nov 4, 2006
                                      Maybe. No big deal though. Chris

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Nov 4, 2006
                                        I think they would x-ray it

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Nov 4, 2006
                                          In a message dated 11/4/2006 9:14:24 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, christof139@... writes:
                                          Could be the proverbial 'slow boat to China', a canoe or bateaux
                                          might be faster.

                                          Has your package arrived yet??
                                          Yes, but it took about 2 weeks.   I'm going shopping with Mom today, and go checkout whats selling at our new Walgreens.  Maybe they have some toothbrushes, swabs, and stuff on sale.
                                        • christof139
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Nov 4, 2006
                                            I think that is standard procedure. X-Ray or something similar. Chris

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Nov 4, 2006
                                              Check the Dollar type stores. I got 6.4oz. toothpaste tubes with a
                                              good brush for $1.00, and 3 and 4 soap bar packs for $1.00. Some of
                                              the soap bars can be 4 to 4.74oz. bars rather than the smaller 3.5oz
                                              bars. Got some nice gray etc. Bandannas for $1.00, and just found a
                                              place that has some in various shades of tan. Ready made Bandannas
                                              won't fray at the edges as the ones will if they are made out of
                                              sheets. 700-Cotton swabs for $1.00, 24-disposable razors for $1.00,
                                              etc.

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Nov 4, 2006
                                                How do list all that on the Custom's form?

                                              • pathfinder8thid@verizon.net
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Nov 4, 2006
                                                  just list as bulk items     ie:  razors, toiletries, [sp?]  but  in generic  terms  unless u have something u may think needs  describing
                                                  this way  they will not open box and delivery would not be delayed
                                                  like i listed  the nintendo set  W/PISTOL  on  form ... so when they xray it  they dont call EOD!
                                                  form u need is    PS FORM 2976-A  JUNE 2005    from the post office    Rich

                                                  If you don't stand behind our troops...please, feel free to stand in
                                                  FRONT of them!!!

                                                  Forty RoundsSIR! A Co. 1/13thinf - 75-77'
                                                  We are Ready SIR! HHC 3rd brigade, 4th ID S-1 85'
                                                  Pathfinders ForwardSIR! HHC 8th I.D. G-1 80-84'
                                                  [11B,64C,76Y,05C ]
                                                  [SP/4] "Col." R.T.Sonneborn
                                                  Commanding
                                                  8thID Association
                                                  www.8thID.org
                                                  P.O.Box 81
                                                  Mastic Beach, NY
                                                  11951-0081
                                                  "SP/4's Rule the World"

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Nov 4, 2006
                                                    Easy, I print it out!!! No problem. If you miss something no big deal.
                                                    I print for example: T-shirts, socks, or just 'Clothing'; 'Soap' for
                                                    all soap, whether bars or laundry detergent; DVD or 2-DVD's etc.;
                                                    Magazines and/or books; 'Personal Hygiene items' for deodorant, soap
                                                    bars, toothpaste and toothbrushes, cotton swabs, etc. And, I include
                                                    an 'etc.' at the end of the list in case I miss something, no big deal
                                                    at all.