Baumholder

  • Gary W. Hall
    Message 1 of 160 , May 1, 2003
      I was back at Baumholder last Friday, for the departure ceremony for
      the 1st Armor Division units headed to Iraq - the 2nd Brigade Combat
      Team, DIVARTY, 8th Finance, etc. I do video documentation for the
      Army, and I was right on the "parade field" at Minnick Field, about
      20 feet from the podium that the 1st AD CO, MG Sanchez, used to
      address the troops... It was an unusual day, weather-wise, since it
      was sunny and warm. I don't remeber too many such days during April
      when I was at Baumholder as a young troop...

      I was stationed at Baumholder from Dec. 77 until my unit, 1/68 Armor,
      was transferred to Wildflecken in '79. I lived in Bldg. 8112, and I
      was lucky enough to meet a young soldier who showed me the insides of
      the billets. The Company Offices are gone, the arms room is gone, and
      The old barracks have been converted into 1-man rooms, with a full
      kitchen in the billets. Our motor pool is being renovated; all of the
      WWII era buildings with the vehicle bays are gone.

      Gary Hall
      CSC 1/68 AR
      Baumholder 77 - 79
    • Dennis Padgett