RE: [8thdivmodern] HHC 2cd.68th Armor /8th.Inf.

  • Turner, James L (US SSA)
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2006
      Welcome to the site, we have some interesting and funny memories in the
      posting, they are worth browsing when you have some time. We have a ton
      of pictures, feel free to post your own. We also have alimited list of
      names in the database tab, again add yours if you so desire. We also
      have a link to a 68th Armor site that just started last year or so, join
      that group (I promote it since I'm an ex-tanker). Encourage your friends
      from the lod days to join both sites.

      Jim Turner
      C-33 3/68 Armor 69-71

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1, 2006
        Welcome, I was in Baumholder at the same time. I was in Charlie Co.
        1/13 Inf. --------------------------------------------------------------
        ------- In 8thdivmodern@yahoogroups.com, "aircooled53"

      • FA2930EX3@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 1, 2006
          I have this dumb question....

          When 8th ID got deactivated, did all the units get deactivated too?

          No....there's still a 3/8 CAV Bn at Fort Hood right now.   So only the 8th DIV is gone, the units may still exist.  Is there still a 2/68 armor?
        • krazy yankee
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 1, 2006
            Welcome,

            I was with C co 1/39 Inf, from 72 to 74.

            Robert
            BAR NONE
            AAAO

            --- charlieca1 <charlie5486@...> wrote:

            > Welcome, I was in Baumholder at the same time.
            > I was in Charlie Co.
            > 1/13 Inf.

            > ------- In 8thdivmodern@yahoogroups.com,
            > "aircooled53"
            > <aircooled53@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I just wanted to introduce myself. Sp/4 Lee
            > >
            > > I was at Baumholder from 1972-1974 and lived
            > off post married German
            > > (fraulin)from Idar-Oberstein.
            > >
            > > I was in HHC for about the first 14
            > months,and then was transfered to
            > > Combat Support Headquaters Tank section.
            > But,I played medic for the
            > > first months there as I could type. I
            > remember alot of really
            > > wonderful time in Germany and was lucky
            > enough to have some friends
            > > that I stayed in touch with and we have meet
            > for weekend outings from
            > > time to time. I was serching through yahoo
            > and found this site so I
            > > thought that I would join..

            If you can read this THANK a TEACHER.
            If you can read this in English THANK a VETERAN.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • aircooled53
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 2, 2006
              We most likely moved around on the same dirt then, I new a few guy's
              from 1/13 Inf.and play cards with a guy named Gary Palmer..

              In 8thdivmodern@yahoogroups.com, "charlieca1" <charlie5486@...>
              wrote:

              > Welcome, I was in Baumholder at the same time. I was in Charlie
              Co.
              > 1/13 Inf. ---------------------------------------------------------
              -----
              -----
              -----
              > ------- In 8thdivmodern@yahoogroups.com, "aircooled53"
              > <aircooled53@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I just wanted to introduce myself. Sp/4 Lee
              > >
              > > I was at Baumholder from 1972-1974 and lived off post married
              German
              > > (fraulin)from Idar-Oberstein.
              > >
              > > I was in HHC for about the first 14 months,and then was
              transfered to
              > > Combat Support Headquaters Tank section. But,I played medic for
              the
              > > first months there as I could type. I remember alot of really
              > > wonderful time in Germany and was lucky enough to have some
              friends
              > > that I stayed in touch with and we have meet for weekend outings
              from
              > > time to time. I was serching through yahoo and found this site
              so I
              > > thought that I would join..

            • aircooled53
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 2, 2006
                --- In 8thdivmodern@yahoogroups.com, FA2930EX3@... wrote:

                > I have this dumb question....
                >
                > When 8th ID got deactivated, did all the units get deactivated too?
                >
                > No....there's still a 3/8 CAV Bn at Fort Hood right now. So only
                the 8th
                > DIV is gone, the units may still exist. Is there still a 2/68
                armor?

                The last I heard it was deactivated at Colorado around 1988..
              • Turner, James L (US SSA)
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 2, 2006
                  1/68 is at Ft Carson Colo. As part of the 4th ID. They were deployed to
                  Iraq once or twice.
                  2/68 stayed at Baumholder as part of the 1st AD and were deployed to the
                  Balkans in the 90's (found an article in Stars and Stripes) sometime
                  during the 90's they were deactivated.
                  3/68 was at Ft Carson after thee 77th Armor replaced them at Sullivan in
                  the late 80's, I believe the colors were moved to Ft Carson for awhile,
                  then deactivated in the 90's, maybe replaced by 1/68 colors.
                  Don't know what happened to 5/68, probably deactivated with the 8th ID.
                  Anybody that can add to this feel free.
                  Bottom line is that only 1/68 is an active unit at this time.

                  Jim Turner
                  3/68 Armor 69-71

                  > When 8th ID got deactivated, did all the units get deactivated too?
                  >
                  > No....there's still a 3/8 CAV Bn at Fort Hood right now. So only
                  the 8th
                  > DIV is gone, the units may still exist. Is there still a 2/68
                  armor?

                  The last I heard it was deactivated at Colorado around 1988..

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Paul Williams
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 2, 2006
                    Last time I checked, 1/68 AR was at Fort Carson. 2/68
                    AR got deactivated right after the Gulf War with the
                    rest of the Seventh Corp. The tankers were to go as a
                    foursome to a preposition tank in Kuwait, but the war
                    was over in 100 hours (they didn't see that coming) so
                    they just reassigned them and deactived the battalion
                    in place and renamed it something else (I forget
                    which).

                    Paul Williams
                    CSC 2/68 77-79

                    --- FA2930EX3@... wrote:

                    > I have this dumb question....
                    >
                    > When 8th ID got deactivated, did all the units get
                    > deactivated too?
                    >
                    > No....there's still a 3/8 CAV Bn at Fort Hood right
                    > now. So only the 8th
                    > DIV is gone, the units may still exist. Is there
                    > still a 2/68 armor?

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • bobby browning
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 2, 2006
                      as I understand it the 2/13th Infantry that was at
                      Coleman Barracks is now a training battalion at Fort
                      Jackson, S.C.

                      --- FA2930EX3@... wrote:

                      > I have this dumb question....
                      >
                      > When 8th ID got deactivated, did all the units get
                      > deactivated too?
                      >
                      > No....there's still a 3/8 CAV Bn at Fort Hood right
                      > now. So only the 8th
                      > DIV is gone, the units may still exist. Is there
                      > still a 2/68 armor?

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • bobby browning
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 2, 2006

                        --- FA2930EX3@... wrote:

                        > I have this dumb question....
                        >
                        > When 8th ID got deactivated, did all the units get
                        > deactivated too?
                        >
                        > No....there's still a 3/8 CAV Bn at Fort Hood right
                        > now. So only the 8th
                        > DIV is gone, the units may still exist. Is there
                        > still a 2/68 armor?

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • bobby browning
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 2, 2006

                          --- FA2930EX3@... wrote:

                          > I have this dumb question....
                          >
                          > When 8th ID got deactivated, did all the units get
                          > deactivated too?
                          >
                          > No....there's still a 3/8 CAV Bn at Fort Hood right
                          > now. So only the 8th
                          > DIV is gone, the units may still exist. Is there
                          > still a 2/68 armor?

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • bobby browning
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 2, 2006

                            --- FA2930EX3@... wrote:

                            > I have this dumb question....
                            >
                            > When 8th ID got deactivated, did all the units get
                            > deactivated too?
                            >
                            > No....there's still a 3/8 CAV Bn at Fort Hood right
                            > now. So only the 8th
                            > DIV is gone, the units may still exist. Is there
                            > still a 2/68 armor?

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • ED HUDSON
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 2, 2006

                              --- FA2930EX3@... wrote:

                              > I have this dumb question....

                              > When 8th ID got deactivated, did all the units get
                              > deactivated  too?

                              > No....there's still a 3/8 CAV Bn at Fort Hood right
                              > now.   So only the 8th
                              > DIV is gone, the units may still exist.   Is there
                              > still a 2/68 armor?

                              http://mail.yahoo.com

                            • jack sword
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 4, 2006
                                I was with Co A 1/39 from June 1971 to Oct 1973 then went to Hawaii the worst mistake I ever made in my life was leaving Germany

                                krazy yankee <onekrazyyankee@...> wrote:
                                Welcome,

                                I was with C co 1/39 Inf, from 72 to 74.

                                Robert
                                BAR NONE
                                AAAO

                                --- charlieca1 <charlie5486@...> wrote:

                                > Welcome, I was in Baumholder at the same time.
                                > I was in Charlie Co.
                                > 1/13 Inf.

                                > ------- In 8thdivmodern@yahoogroups.com,
                                > "aircooled53"
                                > <aircooled53@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I just wanted to introduce myself. Sp/4 Lee
                                > >
                                > >  I was at Baumholder from 1972-1974 and lived
                                > off post married German
                                > > (fraulin)from Idar-Oberstein.
                                > >
                                > > I was in HHC for about the first 14
                                > months,and then was transfered to
                                > > Combat Support Headquaters Tank section.
                                > But,I played medic for the
                                > > first months there as I could type. I
                                > remember alot of really
                                > > wonderful time in Germany and was lucky
                                > enough to have some friends
                                > > that I stayed in touch with and we have meet
                                > for weekend outings from
                                > > time to time. I was serching through yahoo
                                > and found this site so I
                                > > thought that I would join..

                                If you can read this THANK a TEACHER.
                                If you can read this in English THANK a VETERAN.

                                http://mail.yahoo.com

                                Yahoo! Mail

                              • FA2930EX3@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 5, 2006
                                  What was it like serving in Hawaii?  Very expensive to live there for troops?