Re: C 1/13 Inf. Baumholder 73-74

  • joemurph113
    Message 1 of 3 , May 6, 2002
      --- In 8thdivmodern@y..., "charlieca1" <charlie5486@a...> wrote:
      > Glad to see the site going again but I hate this Yahoo crap it's
      > looks like the Army had something to do with it. I don't know where
      > to put my email so I'll put it here. Charlie5486@a... Did I say I
      > hate Yahoo. 40 rounds

      Hey Charlie,

      I was in A 1/13, but between 81 and 85. I'm going back to Europe for
      a vacation (early anniversary) with my wife in about two weeks.
      Baumholder became a closed post while I was over there... immediatly
      after the suicide bombing of the marine barracks in Lebanon they put
      up gate guards and ID checks at all enterences and exits, so I don't
      know if I'll be able to get on post... but if I do, I plan on taking
      a bunch of pictures of the old area. Do you remember how the mess
      hall had a swastika embedded in the bricks?

      Anyway... things have changed a lot. I've read that the 1/13 has been
      disbanded and the area has been taken over by the 4/12 Inf. Even the
      8th ID is gone and now it's all the 1st Armored Div. Oh well... at
      least the buildings should be the same.

      I'm trying to remember where C Co was. If one was standing in front
      of the mess hall, A Co would be the first building down the hill on
      the left, with B Co. just after that. Up the hill on the right was
      HHC, but I don't remember which buildings were Charlie and Delta
      comps.

      Take Care,

      Joe

      FORTY ROUNDS!
      8 IS GREAT!
    • joemurph113
      Message 2 of 3 , May 7, 2002
        It's been a pain, but I finally got through to the S-2 in Baumholder
        and they are going to give me a special pass and memorandum (and
        probably and escort) to go around and take some pictures.

        Appearently it is a VERY closed post now, and since the 9/11
        incidents it is on very heightened security. I have first called the
        MP/Provost Marshal and was told that I probably would not be allowed
        on Post and that absolutly NO pictures would be allowed. I'm glad
        that I was able to move up the chain of command. I ended up speaking
        to a woman who was the head of S-2 (security) for the post and that
        worked out well.

        Also, what was once 1/13 Inf and was replaced by 4/12 Inf has now
        been replaced again and is now 2/6 Inf! Man... I guess you really can
        never "go home".

        Take Care,

        Joe