Re: [8thdivmodern] Digest Number 492

  • michael padilla
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2005
       Why were we there ? Hmmmm, Hitler ring a bell ? Then the Duty of protecting all of western Europe from a blooming Russian threat that could have taken over EVERTHING if we had not been there to keep them on their side of the lines that were drawn. The European countries at the end of the war were still in a state of havoc. Most of their industries were bombed and burned. They could have never stopped the Russians on their own. And then, the Nazi's could have regrouped if we had just pulled everyone out and sent them back home. My grandfather served under Gen. Patton, and was proud to be part of D-Day, Battle of the Bulge among other important things. I traveled a lot thru the Benelux countries and found some of the places he was at, and I was proud of all the he and all the other soldiers that have went before me. I am proud that I was there to be part of a "Deterant Force" that "might" have to fight if called upon. Michael Padilla 1/39 Inf.

      8thdivmodern@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      Give underprivileged students the materials they need to learn.
      Bring education to life by funding a specific classroom project.
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/FHLuJD/_WnJAA/cUmLAA/MXSolB/TM

      There are 13 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: -- Why Were We There?
      From: FA2930EX3@...
      2. Re: -- Why Were We There?
      From: FA2930EX3@...
      3. Re: -- Why Were We There?
      From: cmdr8thid@...
      4. RE: -- Why Were We There?
      From: "Johnny Atkison"
      5. RE: -- Why Were We There?
      From: Tommy Jones
      6. RE: -- Why Were We There?
      From: "Johnny Atkison"
      7. Re: -- Why Were We There?
      From: "Carol Walk"
      8. Re: -- Why Were We There?
      From: "Jim Turner"
      9. RE: -- Why Were We There?
      From: RedlegOne
      10. Re: -- Why Were We There?
      From: FA2930EX3@...
      11. Re: -- Why Were We There?
      From: "amcalbob70@..."
      12. [Spam] Re: [Spam] RE: -- Why Were We There?
      From: "Matthew Ginn"
      13. Re: -- Why Were We There? / / /
      From: krazy yankee

      Message: 1
      Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:24:45 EST
      From: FA2930EX3@...
      Subject: Re: -- Why Were We There?

      You think Europe will turn on us? Its expensive for the US to maintain
      forces around the world. Why not make it a NATO style force.

      In a message dated 3/29/2005 6:02:44 PM Pacific Standard Time,
      Spriggs@... writes:
      Soon after we finally leave Europe, they will build a force that will rival
      our own. Europe could very well be on our radar as a potential threat in the
      next 50 years.

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 2
      Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:37:34 EST
      From: FA2930EX3@...

      Maybe right now, is the best time to be alive.

      We're Cold War Vets, we did a good thing.

      In a message dated 3/30/2005 6:22:56 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      james.l.turner@... writes:
      If not a military at least an economic threat, history has shown the two to
      be intertwined. Lets hope history doesn't repeat its self. Power and greed seem
      to somehow always come into play, it only takes a few decision makers in the
      wrong places to create havoc.
      Jim Turner 3/68 Armor 69-71

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 3
      Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:58:26 EST
      From: cmdr8thid@...

      In a message dated 3/30/2005 1:10:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      FA2930EX3@... writes:
      > We're Cold War Vets, we did a good thing.

      yes....we did .....
      Fourty rounds!

      R.T.Sonneborn
      Web-Commander 8th ID

      p.s. we're working on a full divisional reunion in september 05' with a
      visit to Ft. KNOX and some special goodies!!!

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 4
      Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:48:30 -0600
      From: "Johnny Atkison"

      Maybe so then why do some people make me feel I am not a veteran because I
      didn't see "action"?

      Johnny Atkison

      (918)231-2269

      FA2930EX3@... writes:

      We're Cold War Vets, we did a good thing.

      yes....we did .....
      Fourty rounds!

      R.T.Sonneborn
      Web-Commander 8th ID

      p.s. we're working on a full divisional reunion in september 05' with a
      visit to Ft. KNOX and some special goodies!!!

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      oups/S=1705059788:HM/EXP=1112305320/A=2372975/R=0/SIG=11jraf5qk/*http:/www.u
      sba.com/ads2/landing_enough.asp?id=11> click here

      :HM/A=2372975/rand=103488619>

      _____

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      .

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 5
      Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:51:27 -0800 (PST)
      From: Tommy Jones

      We all did our time, made our sacrifices and have nothing to be ashamed of. We were not called on to fight. If so, we would have done our duty to our country.
      Tommy Jones, Sgt HHC 5/8 Inf (mech) 89-92
      Johnny Atkison wrote:
      Maybe so then why do some people make me feel I am not a veteran because I didn�t see �action�?

      Johnny Atkison

      (918)231-2269

      We're Cold War Vets, we did a good thing.

      yes....we did .....
      Fourty rounds!

      R.T.Sonneborn
      Web-Commander 8th ID

      p.s. we're working on a full divisional reunion in september 05' with a visit to Ft. KNOX and some special goodies!!!

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 6
      Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:50:30 -0600
      From: "Johnny Atkison"

      My Dad joined the Army Air Corp before it became the Air force He spent 22
      years in. He was stationed in Formosa (Taiwan) when they set up the Kang
      Shi Check (sp) gov. He got some kind of medal like a Formosa Defense medal.
      He also flew into Korea on air rescue assignments once or twice. In 1958 he
      trained to launch the US first space sat. Now my point is the VFW said he
      couldn't join because he wasn't a combat veteran. That just blew my mind.
      I spent approximately ten years in the service (8years active and 2 tdrl)
      and while in Mainz Germany I came down with Multiple Sclerosis. Funny thing
      is why so many military men get multiple sclerosis compared to the general
      population but that is another story. Point is I have been made to feel
      like I was a second rate veteran cause I didn't go fight in a war. MP duty
      in Germany in the late 70's early 80's with the plunger bombs put in our
      vehicles and other bombing didn't count.

      Johnny Atkison

      FA2930EX3@... writes:

      We're Cold War Vets, we did a good thing.

      yes....we did .....
      Fourty rounds!

      R.T.Sonneborn
      Web-Commander 8th ID

      p.s. we're working on a full divisional reunion in september 05' with a
      visit to Ft. KNOX and some special goodies!!!

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      oups/S=1705059788:HM/EXP=1112310156/A=2372975/R=0/SIG=11jraf5qk/*http:/www.u
      sba.com/ads2/landing_enough.asp?id=11> click here

      :HM/A=2372975/rand=283456855>

      _____

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      .

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 7
      Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:44:58 -0700
      From: "Carol Walk"

      I have really enjoyed all the chatter coming out of the website the past few weeks. It's amazing how it sparks sometimes!
      I may well be the only female on this site, but I served in the 8th ID in mid 70's, as did my husband.
      In reading the past few messages about us "not being real veterans" since we weren't called to combat, the thought can't leave my mind that peace is the real purpose of having a military.
      Military action is supposed to be the last resort of our country, after negotiations and good will have failed. I'd say it is a salute to those leaders we had during the Cold War days that we weren't ordered to combat, but asked to be "Combat Ready".
      Just my thoughts.....We have two children currently serving in the military and I can't help but wish our statesmen had done a better job in the early stages of the situation in the Mideast. Maybe the current generation could have enjoyed their deployments as much as we did ours to Germany!

      Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 02:57:29 -0000
      From: "Jim Turner"

      We broke the all time message traffic for one month - great.

      As far as being a veteran, about 60% of my friends I grew up with
      served as combat infantry men, etc in vietnam, when we all get
      together I am a brother as much as the guys served in combat, We had
      others that chose going to Canada, in my circle of friends we all
      served from Alaska to Vietnam and we all honor each other. Maybe
      that will help put it in perspective. My father served in two wars
      and wore a CIB with a star, my older brother flew Hueys in 65-66 out
      of Soc Trang and my younger brother served with the 3/7 cav in
      Germany, it didn't seem to matter. It only matters how other
      veterans see you, the rest will never have a clue.

      Jim Turner 3/68 69-71

      --- In 8thdivmodern@yahoogroups.com, "Carol Walk"

      FA2930EX3@a... writes:

      > We're Cold War Vets, we did a good thing.
      >

      > yes....we did .....
      > Fourty rounds!
      >
      > R.T.Sonneborn
      > Web-Commander 8th
      ID

      > p.s. we're working on a full divisional reunion in september
      05' with a visit to Ft. KNOX and some special goodies!!!

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      of Service.

      Message: 9
      Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:26:46 -0800 (PST)
      From: RedlegOne

      Small wee wee syndrom maybe? LOL
      I myself haven't run across this. We all served NOT
      knowing if we were going to combat or not.

      Joel

      --- Johnny Atkison wrote:
      > Maybe so then why do some people make me feel I am
      > not a veteran because I
      > didn't see "action"?
      >

      > Johnny Atkison
      >
      > (918)231-2269

      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

      Message: 10

      === message truncated ===

      Yahoo! Messenger
    • FA2930EX3@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1 9:40 AM
        I bet the Peace-niks were saying it was a big waste of money.

        In a message dated 4/1/2005 5:07:46 AM Pacific Standard Time, dannysbro@... writes:
[...]
      • Dave Black
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2 7:57 AM
          I'm not sure what the last comment means, but as to
          the previous one...we were also there because Europe
          (especially Germany) was in shambles and the German
          people were literally starving. We were only able to
          help the Allied countries, Italy, the West Germans and
          half of Berlin, but at least it was something.

          http://mail.yahoo.com