Re: B 2/13 Coleman Bks. '81-'83

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 7, 2004
      We partied quite a bit in the early 70s but we also spent a lot of
      time out in the boonies (Baumholder, Graffenwoehr, and Vilsek). Was
      the "A" bar still around in the 80s and 90s?--- In
      8thdivmodern@yahoogroups.com, jeff davis <coolbokie@y...> wrote:
      > That stand was awesome we'd go out and get the sheinzel and
      fries they were awesome. I can remember going out every night and
      partying like a rock star during Fasching. What a great time of the
      year.

      > RedlegOne <redleg1one@y...> wrote:
      > My first tour I was there (BFV)83-84, (Coleman) some
      > of 86-88. Man do I remember some of the stuff you
      > mentioned. I DO remember the wurst stand. I'd hit it
      > right before going back on post. My barracks (FIST
      > Plt) was right across Brigade Headquarters.
      >
      > Joel
      >

      > --- jsmurphy62 <jsmurphy62@h...> wrote:
      >
      > > I was in B Co. 2/13th Feb. '81-'83.
      > > I enjoyed the pics you guys posted of Coleman. Those
      > > really take me
      > > back. Looking at the main gate photo, remember the
      > > wurst stand off to
      > > the left? They had the best brotchen, meat and
      > > cheese with hot
      > > mustard.
      > > A lot of crazy stuff happened during my time there.
      > > The Chinook crash
      > > at the airshow, the flares that went off inside the
      > > M-60 tank in the
      > > V-area, igniting some rounds and burning the tank.
      > > The guy who stole
      > > the M-60 and went on a joy-ride through Mannheim one
      > > Sunday morning,
      > > crashing into cars and finally crashing through the
      > > Kurpfaltz bridge
      > > railing and falling into the river.
      > >
      > > Had many good times...
      > >
      > > "Forty Rounds"!

      > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Service.

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 8, 2004
        Hey Bill,I was in company C 2/13th infantry from
        january 1971 until february 1972. bobby
        --- Bill <bfort@...> wrote:

        > We partied quite a bit in the early 70s but we also
        > spent a lot of
        > time out in the boonies (Baumholder, Graffenwoehr,
        > and Vilsek). Was
        > the "A" bar still around in the 80s and 90s?--- In
        > 8thdivmodern@yahoogroups.com, jeff davis
        > <coolbokie@y...> wrote:
        > > That stand was awesome we'd go out and get the
        > sheinzel and
        > fries they were awesome. I can remember going out
        > every night and
        > partying like a rock star during Fasching. What a
        > great time of the
        > year.
        > >

        > > RedlegOne <redleg1one@y...> wrote:
        > > My first tour I was there (BFV)83-84, (Coleman)
        > some
        > > of 86-88. Man do I remember some of the stuff you
        > > mentioned. I DO remember the wurst stand. I'd hit
        > it
        > > right before going back on post. My barracks (FIST
        > > Plt) was right across Brigade Headquarters.
        > >
        > > Joel
        > >

        > > --- jsmurphy62 <jsmurphy62@h...> wrote:
        > >
        > > > I was in B Co. 2/13th Feb. '81-'83.
        > > > I enjoyed the pics you guys posted of Coleman.
        > Those
        > > > really take me
        > > > back. Looking at the main gate photo, remember
        > the
        > > > wurst stand off to
        > > > the left? They had the best brotchen, meat and
        > > > cheese with hot
        > > > mustard.
        > > > A lot of crazy stuff happened during my time
        > there.
        > > > The Chinook crash
        > > > at the airshow, the flares that went off inside
        > the
        > > > M-60 tank in the
        > > > V-area, igniting some rounds and burning the
        > tank.
        > > > The guy who stole
        > > > the M-60 and went on a joy-ride through Mannheim
        > one
        > > > Sunday morning,
        > > > crashing into cars and finally crashing through
        > the
        > > > Kurpfaltz bridge
        > > > railing and falling into the river.
        > > >
        > > > Had many good times...
        > > >
        > > > "Forty Rounds"!

        > > Yahoo! Mail - 50x more storage than other
        > providers!
        > > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        > >
        > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        > Yahoo! Terms of
        > Service.

        > > Yahoo! Mail - 50x more storage than other
        > providers!

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Chris Talley
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 8, 2004
          I was just there again for Operation Enduring Freedom/Task Force Keystone in Vilseck 1992-1993.  Vilseck and Graffenwoehr haven't changed much at all.  Talk about a flash back.  I was stationed at Coleman Barracks from 1987-1991; Co. D 4/8th Inf. (M).  That post has changed and does not have the busy buzz of troops any more.  It kind of saddens the heart.  If I could step back in time again I would do it all over once more.  This time less alcohol though.  The "A" bar is still there but not the same.  Now that I completed my 20 years of service I look back at some of these fond memories and smile.  I tell young kids now days that if your not sure about going to college or don't know what you want in life, join a branch of the armed service(any branch) and see this world, you won't regret it.  Now I would like to go back to Germany to tour on the civilian side with my family to show them what our honor and creed defended all these years.  My son is only 5 but I think he is going to join the Army like his father and become a good leader.  This is all he talks about.  A great pride of a dedicated heritage.  Take care to all who read this message.  May God Bless America and our troops!

          Sincerely,
          (SGT)Christopher G. Talley
          Co. D 4/8th Inf (M)
          Coleman Brks.
          Mannheim, Germany

          PS-Feel free to write back to anyone.  I enjoy reading and chatting of old times.
          We partied quite a bit in the early 70s but we also spent a lot of
          time out in the boonies (Baumholder, Graffenwoehr, and Vilsek). Was
          the "A" bar still around in the 80s and 90s?--- In
          8thdivmodern@yahoogroups.com, jeff davis <coolbokie@y...> wrote:
          >   That stand was awesome we'd go out and get the sheinzel and
          fries they were awesome. I can remember going out every night and
          partying like a rock star during Fasching. What a great time of the
          year.

          > RedlegOne <redleg1one@y...> wrote:
          > My first tour I was there (BFV)83-84, (Coleman) some
          > of 86-88. Man do I remember some of the stuff you
          > mentioned. I DO remember the wurst stand. I'd hit it
          > right before going back on post. My barracks (FIST
          > Plt) was right across Brigade Headquarters.
          >
          > Joel
          >

          > --- jsmurphy62 <jsmurphy62@h...> wrote:
          >
          > > I was in B Co. 2/13th Feb. '81-'83.
          > > I enjoyed the pics you guys posted of Coleman. Those
          > > really take me
          > > back. Looking at the main gate photo, remember the
          > > wurst stand off to
          > > the left? They had the best brotchen, meat and
          > > cheese with hot
          > > mustard.
          > > A lot of crazy stuff happened during my time there.
          > > The Chinook crash
          > > at the airshow, the flares that went off inside the
          > > M-60 tank in the
          > > V-area, igniting some rounds and burning the tank.
          > > The guy who stole
          > > the M-60 and went on a joy-ride through Mannheim one
          > > Sunday morning,
          > > crashing into cars and finally crashing through the
          > > Kurpfaltz bridge
          > > railing and falling into the river.
          > >
          > > Had many good times...
          > >
          > > "Forty Rounds"!

          > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Service.

        • bobby browning
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 8, 2004
            I'm looking for anyone that knows anything about a
            Captain daniel dockum. He was the Company commander
            of Company C 2/13 Infantry for some of the year 1971
            and then move to 2/13 battalion S-2. Just wonder if
            anyone knew anything.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Bill
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 9, 2004
              Bobby,

              Looks like we were neighbors back then. I was in Alpha company
              across the street from the motor pool.

              --- In 8thdivmodern@yahoogroups.com, bobby browning <bobnc49@y...>

            • Bill
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 9, 2004
                Chris

                I sometimes wish I had made a career in the Army, but that is 20/20
                hindsight I guess. Times were different then. Service personnel were
                not respected at all and I needed to get back to the "world" to
                finish my degree. I do have a lot of fond memories of my time in the
                Army and tell war stories when I can.--- In

                of Service.