RE: [8thdivmodern] Baumholder / 8th ID

  • Robert Netzband
    Message 1 of 61 , Apr 30, 2004
      Hi,
          In Mannheim when we got out of the field and had an itch in your pants you could just go downtown to the red light district and get laid for twenty bucks. And you got to pick the girl. FYI.

      Robert Netzband

      1986-1987
      HHC 5/77 Armor FIST Platoon
      3rd Brigade 8th ID
      Pathfinders.

      Message 61 of 61 , May 12, 2004
        Message
        Jerry,

        I loved the place, and I bet I saw as much of the country in and around Baumholder as the shepherds and forstmeisters.  It was a real treat to be outdoors without a rifle and 30 kilo pack, too, on the five or ten days of the year when it was sunny and above freezing.  Apart from that, I was always handy with a map and used to make a point of carrying the appropriate 1:50k whenever I was having a look around.  1/39 Infantry used to do no end of training in the near-country around the post.

        There's no special insight in my guess about where you were wandering. The reason I'm pretty sure of the road you went down was because it was the only quiet country road you could take out of Baumholder.  There weren't that many roads to start with, and none of the rest fit the bill.  The roads to Idar-Oberstein, Kusel and Freisen were busy;  the road to Heimbach was certain suicide for pedestrians;  the few quiet roads out the west side meant about a five click walk before you got off the post;  and you'd go fifteen kilometres down the south tank trail before you got to anything resembling a field.

        How's that for a demonstration of completely useless trivia?

        Having said all that, I never got to go out on the main range to see the villages that were evacuated in 1937 so that the German Army could turn the area into a firing range.  Evidently, the area in the hills above Baumholder was chosen because it was one of the most miserable and unproductive spots they could find.  They just moved the families out, and left their houses and graveyards in place.  We did a combined arms exercise at the northeast end of the MTA once, and ran into some old timers visiting a cemetery out there.  They evidently had a key to the gate and just let themselves in.  Strange to be settled into an AO with 113s and M-68s, only to have a procession of civilians in suits walking up the farm trail through your position.

        Did you ever see the Soviet cemetery / memorial out past the airfield?  Seems there was a POW camp there during the war.  What a lousy deal that must have been.

        Matt