8th Infantry unit crests on ebay?

  • Bill Conner
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 8, 2004
      61st Inf. – 35th Field Arty – 69th Arm.

      28th Inf. - 52nd Inf. – 87th Inf.

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      ViewItem&item=2230529489&category=36063

      This was cool;
      These are my credentials

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      ViewItem&item=2229005204&category=4728

      If the link doesn't work, paste 'em.

      Conner
      CoA 2/509th ABN/MECH Inf
      All the Way
    • Ginn, Matthew
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 8, 2004
        Conner,

        The links you posted are giving me some trouble, but the question is: how did you spot these unit insignia? Do you search e-bay for them individually, or just hunt DUI as a category? I used to collect them when I was a kid and, so far as I can tell, a lot of the e-bay sales seem pretty cheap. I spotted a 12th Infantry crest in there, too, although I don't need any more of those just now.

        A few posts ago you were talking about visiting Germany, maybe staying. How would you swing that? I took a European out and stayed a few years after I left the Army, but because I had a SOFA job with a contractor I didn't have to finish the aufenthaltserlaubniss paperwork that I started to clear S-1. Which was a good thing because it was shaping up to be a horrible nightmare. Anyway, I've been thinking about trying to go back to Germany for a couple of years -- I can take leave without pay from my present job -- but I'm not ready to retire, and I've assumed that getting a work permit would be impossible. So what's the trick? Get a job under SOFA?

        Before I forget, I ordered a couple of German maps from amazon.de to help jog my memory. One of them's a sort of picture atlas, with both 1:100k maps and photos + text. They print them for a variety of areas, but the one that best covers the old 8th ID area is probably this:

        HB Bildatlas, Hunsrück, Naheland, Rheinhessen
        Taschenbuch - 100 Seiten - HB Verlag, Hbg.
        Erscheinungsdatum: 2002
        ISBN: 3616061377
        Euro 8.50

        This takes in the region including Baumholder, BK, Mainz, Hahn AFB and a fair bit more. Obviously, if you don't speak German then the text isn't much help, but I figure that at 8.50 Euros the photos alone are a still cheaper than the roll of film that I didn't shoot. It's got a separate section on Mainz, too, although for some reason Baumholder doesn't rate a special mention of its own.

        Cheers

        Matt Ginn
        1/39 Inf (M) & 4/12 Inf (M)
        Baumholder FRG
        1986-1989

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 9, 2004
          Matt,

          I left the Army in 90 and stayed on in Germany 5 additional years working as a contractor. This was just before Germany started to crack down on jobs lost to Americans, but I still have friends working in Mannheim for Northrop Grumman. I'm sure there is a way for you to find a job. I'd contact the defense contractors and see. It would be especially helpful if you have a clearance. Good luck.

          Michael

          "Ginn, Matthew" <matthew.ginn@...> wrote:
[...]

          HB Bildatlas, Hunsr�ck, Naheland, Rheinhessen

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 9, 2004

            Michael L. Jackson,

            Were you stationed in Mannheim? Colemann Barracks? 4/8th?

            Trying to locate old friends...

            Dave

          • mr viz
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 9, 2004
              Hey Matt,
              It seems that the link to ebay never gets correctly
              posted on Yahoo Group sites. It's only partially
              posted, usually split into 2 lines with the second
              line not being hyperlinked(?). Copying both lines and
              pasting them into the browser will work. Also copying
              the item number and plugging it into an ebay search
              engine will get you there.
              I've been attempting to replace my Dad's DUIs do
              different kinds of searches. I'm now looking for DUIs
              the 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, the 82nd Signal
              Battalion, and the 89th AFA. I know that I can get
              currently produced clutchback versions (except for the
              89th AFA)but I'm bent on getting the pinbacks. Sunday
              a 325th went for almost $80 but another went for less
              than $30. The 89th Airborne Field Artillery was part
              of the 11th Airborne Division and will be a real
              toughie. It says(motto) "God is our Reserve" so if you
              ever see one let me know.
              Sometimes I'll examine a seller's other auctions on
              a hunch. I found the ones on the link that I posted
              just by general searching. Because everyone thinks
              that they are a salesperson, many items are
              incorrectly listed or incorrectly described. That's
              where the deals (and "hidden" items)are found.

              As far as staying in Europe, I'll have to address that
              in a future post.
              Conner
              CoA 2/509th ABN/MECH Inf
              All The Way

              http://search.yahoo.com
            • LordWulf
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 9, 2004
                I was in HHC 4/8 in 90

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 9, 2004
                  Message
                  Michael,

                  Thanks for that advice.  I actually hadn't given much thought to the contractors, but it's got to beat the public service rigamarole.  I've still got a couple of friends working in USAREUR (Heidelberg), but it sounds like they have to play the social/political game full time to avoid being sent back to the States involuntarily.  Worrying about that would kind of spoil the experience for me.  It was bad enough trying to land a job back in '90 - '91, when they had a hiring freeze (except, of course, for military wives).

                  Will be interesting to find out how clearances work across borders.  My last one here was pretty serious and worked for Aus and US, but I imagine a US contractor would make me run a new one from the ground up.  We'll see.

                  Before I forget -- where were you located after you got out?  I lived in Heidelberg and worked out of Seckenheim, at Hammond Barracks.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 9, 2004
                    Conner,

                    Now I understand why you were telling us to paste the link. *&^%$!

                    Unfortunately all my DUIs are back in the States. When I moved Down
                    Under most of the valuable stuff went back to my Dad, including the
                    patch collection I took over from him. He was a kid during WWII and had
                    boxes of patches, DUIs and so forth, so I had a pretty good start.

                    I do know that I have only one airborne DUI from WWII (well, it's a
                    pinback, so I'm making that assumption), but odds are strongly against
                    it being one of the ones your after. And it's beat to hell, too. But
                    I'll ask my Dad if he's got that stuff somewhere that he can get at it.
                    If so, we'll find out.

                    You'll have spotted this page with links to the various patches:

                    http://www.bragg.army.mil/3-319AFAR/airborne.htm

                    I managed to pick up an 11th Airborne patch plus a couple of the ghost
                    divisions back in the '70s, but collecting isn't really something a
                    fellow practically can do from this distance so I've had to let it go
                    for the past ten years or so.

                    You're doubtlessly well ahead of me here, but if I were on the hunt for
                    rare DUI (for units that my father served in) I'd consider contacting
                    veterans and seeing if they had any to spare. People are amazingly
                    generous when they know you're genuine. As a boy, I was given a Free
                    French of the Interior (ie resistance) badge that came home with a B-17
                    crew member who'd crashed in France, hidden out for a few months, and
                    been brought back via a Spanish fishing trawler courtesy of MI-9. You
                    won't be seeing any of those on e-bay!

                    Anyway, here's the sort of thing I'd be checking out to find your DUIs:

                    11th ABN DIV
                    http://members.aol.com/dickhoyt/

                    One page from an 89 FA (ABN) guy, and another containing a link to an
                    artillery vet:
                    http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/9610/page3.html
                    http://home.hiwaay.net/~magro/thanks.html

                    Good luck.

                    Look forward to hearing about your visit, permanent or otherwise, to
                    Germany.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 9, 2004
                      Hi

                      I was stationed at Coleman Barracks 90-92, Bco!

                      Jon K.
                    • Michael L. Jackson
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 9, 2004
                        Matt,

                        I lived all 8 of my years overseas in Ruesselsheim (just between Mainz and Frankfurt aM). When I got out in Sep 90, I found a job in Worms at Taukkunen Barracks with TechDyn (under contract to 5th Sig Cmd). Still supporting 5th Sig Cmd, I later worked for PRC, Inc. (bought by Litton Industries in 96). I loved my time in Germany.

                        Now I live outside of Boston, MA and am quite happy here but I often think of going back. Perhaps some day.

                        Best of luck to ya!

                        Sincerely,

                        Michael

                        P.S. If you want I would be glad to inquire with my friend in Mannheim. Email me directly to let me know.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 10, 2004

                          Jon,

                          Did you know John Kuzwaij (spelling?) - I went to basic and jump school with him. I went to A Co. and he got bumped to B Co. when we arrived in Germany. have you maintianed contact with anyone from back then?

                          Dave

                        • joncombat@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 10, 2004
                            Your speaking to him!!

                            Whats up?
                          • James smith
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 13, 2004
                              Ed, You spoke of caravan guard being a mini reforger and from what I can research they say that it was a mere shadow of the original reforger and mostly played by computer. That is unfortunate for most the troops after 87 then, as reforger was the best training we ever got in Germany. All of us over there looked forward to this exercise each year. As we were the the in-country troops we always played the OPFOR role and we loved to kick the state-side troops asses! It was either in 83 or 84 that we played against 1st Cav division or 1st Inf division, dont remember which one been too many years. Anyway it was the first time in history that a division size element had deployed to Europe for reforger. It was the wildest reforger I ever participated in. The Soviets said we were prevoking them and they went on alert for the entire excercise. If my memory serves me correct there were 27,000 and the additional division added another 13,000 troops in country! It was huge! Before the exercise started all of us over there being the OPFOR troops had previuosly scouted and strategicaly had our starting points mapped out. Well that was all well and good till the first battle was over. We massacred them them the first day and the umpires came in and sorted us all out and sent us all on our way. Well we had a fresh CO and it was his first command and within a matter of 24 hrs he had us all lost! We were all seperated during a night battle and we never saw our CO till the end of the exercise. We were staying in villages at night and moving all day. It was great! Party half the night and play all day!  We encountered alot of simulated dead state-side troops and they were pissed cause we had it goin on! They were stayin in the field and we were staying in the vills. Anyway we kicked thier asses again that year, albeit they got some good training. Perhaps Ed you could share with me what it was like over there in the later years After there  was no longer an east and west Germany? I cant even begin to imagine what it was like over there after this happened as that border was our primary duty and nightmare! Our primary border station was the Fulda Gap. Those were the coldest and darkest damn nights of my life. Hell I can remember some of the guys bitchin that there was"nt enough light for the star-light scopes to work correctly in Fulda.What did yall do for training after the border was gone? Seems to me the training would have been exceptionaly boring with no objective anymore. Anyway I have said enough for this post. It was a wild ride for 4 years and nice to share some of the memories.                   Pathfinders Forward Brother!    James Smith

                              Ed Spriggs <Spriggs@...> wrote:
                              James,

                              I can only IMAGINE what the experience was like in the early 80s.  I got a lot of stories from the older guys in my unit and it seemed fantastic.  My time there was great.  Both the work and time off was an adventure and we had an amazing bunch of characters in my unit.  I almost got an Article-15 several times but skated by through sheer cunning.

                              Hohenfels and Graf were wild times too.  I'll never forget when my Section Sergeant (E-6) got off the bus drunk as hell and with pissed pants.  We had to hide him from the Colonel.  There were other amazing times at Caravan Guard (a mini REFORGER) when my section "reconed" the local town and were hosted by the mayor in his house.  Free beer for all!

                              I still have good friends in Germany and every other year I visit them.

                              Send more stories, I love reading them.

                              Regards,
                              -Ed

                              Ed you can"t possibly imagine how great it was in the early 80s! That is when we wer'nt in the field! I was with 2/28 Inf from 83-87 and believe me when I say we spent alot of time in the field. But we stiil had alot of fun even in the field. If our CO would have known some of the stuff we were doing while in Hohenfels-Graf we all would have been given article 15s  or court-martialed. But the time out of the field was spactacular what I can remember of it! Oh lord was it ! Seriously though the early 80s were great in Deutch-land. But as I was PCSing in 87 it was starting to change. The attitude of the older Germans seemed to begin to change. They didnt seem to like us there anymore. Or it appeared to myself and many others this way. When I got there in 83 I learned the language almost fluently and it seemed everyone loved us and it was fantastic. But as I said in 87 it was starting to change sadly for many of us. I did not take any CONUS leave in the 4 years I was th! ere and considered it my home. But wonderful Uncle Sam said it was time for me to leave. Someday I hope to return.       Pathfinders forward brother!
                              James Smith             PS By the way 2/28 was in Mainze
                              Ed Spriggs <Spriggs@...> wrote:
                              Michael,

                              You must have had a great time there.  I was stationed in Wackernheim from 89-91.  It was very tough and everyone bitched and moaned, but it seems many of us are now missing that time.  It must have been even better in the early 80's.

                              -Ed A Btry 5/3 ADA