Why Does My Dog Have Gas?

  • Daily Dog Tip
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2011
      The Daily Dog Tip

      TODAY´S TIP: FOOD & NUTRITION | June 1, 2011

      Why Does My Dog Have Gas?

      by The canine experts at Dogster.com

       Everyone produces gas. This includes the Queen of England, supermodels and Weimaraners. The first thing I recommend is to accept that no matter what you do, your dog still will have gas now and then. Gas alone, in the absence of vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, poor appetite, or failure to thrive, does not necessarily mean that your dog has a stomach problem.

      However, if your dog's gas seems excessive and it a nuisance to you, consider experimenting with a diet change. Humans with flatulence issues should avoid beans, cabbage, broccoli, and any other food with a demonstrated history of exacerbating their gas. Diet is the simplest way to deal with gas in dogs as well. Easily digestible diets often lead to reduced gas. Also consider eliminating rich human foods from your dog's diet.

      Dr. Eric Barchas, DVM, is Dogster's resident vet. Visit him at our Vet Blog.

      Add a comment | See all Food & Nutrition tips

      Share this tip!

      See Daily Cat Tips - Visit Dogster - Unsubscribe - Contact Us - Privacy Policy

      Not currently a Dog Tips subscriber? Sign up now.  -  Get RSS Feed  -  Follow us on Twitter

      ©2011 Dogster, SAY Media Inc. 180 Townsend Street, San Francisco, CA 94107.