Re: [80sBBS] More on MagicSac

  • James Alexander
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 16, 2011
      there were some mailer order outfits selling both legit & bootleg mac roms,
      some mac dealers with "service centers" would sell them to emulator users.

      On another note the high end unix workstation that was mentioned was a TT030
      with a unix install written for it specifically. The system would come
      preinstalled on an HDD that could be installed in the computer itself. When
      the TT was in full production in the early 90's the Unix variant was canned
      however and the machine was running TOS (& gem of course) in versions of 3.5
      or 3.6, the main difference being support for DD or HD floppy drives. Of
      course there was the silly holy wars that erupted later over calling it 3.6
      or 3.06 which frankly were a complete waste of time.

    • dmccunney
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 16, 2011
        On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 5:21 PM, James Alexander
        <james.m.alexander@...> wrote:

        > On another note the high end unix workstation that was mentioned was a TT030
        > with a unix install written for it specifically. The system would come
        > preinstalled on an HDD that could be installed in the computer itself.

        Well, sort of. Idris was originally written for the DEC PDP-11, and
        later ported to other architectures including the 68000. The Atari ST
        port was a product of David M. Stanhope and Skip Tavakkolian at
        Computer Tools International, who also developed the ROM boot
        cartridge.

        Whitesmith's and Computer Tools offered it to Atari as a replacement
        for TOS and GEM, but were declined.
        ______
        Dennis
      • John Repeat Dance
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 18, 2011
          On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 5:34 PM, Gene Buckle <geneb@...> wrote:

          > I'd have bought her a set of ear plugs. :)
          >
          > g.

          I think I might be better off with the earplugs.

          --
          Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems: "The Future Begins Tomorrow"

          Visit us at: http://www.yoyodyne-propulsion.net

        • Gene Buckle
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 18, 2011
            On Fri, 18 Mar 2011, John Repeat Dance wrote:

            > On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 5:34 PM, Gene Buckle <geneb@...> wrote:
            >

            >> I'd have bought her a set of ear plugs. :)
            >>
            >> g.
            >>

            > I think I might be better off with the earplugs.

            Heheheheh.

            Here's a weird seque for you - my brain goes, "earplugs, loud noise, loud
            drives, loud *amiga* drives, contents of loud amiga drives, C-Net source
            on loud amiga drives - Hey! Where's Jim Selleck been hiding?"

            :)

            g.

            --
            Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

            by the clean end.
          • jim@selleck.net
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 18, 2011
              >> Hey! Where's Jim Selleck been hiding?"

              I'm afraid Jim Selleck has gone off planet on an extended exploratory
              mission to a large moon of a planet that cannot be named for galactic
              security reasons. He does own several pairs of earplugs.
            • John Repeat Dance
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 18, 2011
                I thought you were on an Intergalactic Cruise, in your office!

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 18, 2011
                  On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Gene Buckle <geneb@...> wrote:

                  > Here's a weird seque for you - my brain goes, "earplugs, loud noise, loud
                  > drives, loud *amiga* drives, contents of loud amiga drives, C-Net source
                  > on loud amiga drives - Hey! Where's Jim Selleck been hiding?"

                  That is just the sort of talk that would make me reach for the earplugs,
                  because it would annoy her. (;

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 18, 2011
                    On Fri, 18 Mar 2011, jim@... wrote:

                    >>> Hey! Where's Jim Selleck been hiding?"
                    >
                    > I'm afraid Jim Selleck has gone off planet on an extended exploratory
                    > mission to a large moon of a planet that cannot be named for galactic
                    > security reasons. He does own several pairs of earplugs.

                    Ah HA! Explains it all. :) Do you recall where we were all the whole
                    C-Net source code thing?

                    g.

                    --
                    Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007