Re: domain reg / /RE: [80sBBS] Re: New BBS-like Internet Service

  • murdoch
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 15 8:09 AM
      On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 12:48:52 -0700 (PDT), Gene Buckle
      <geneb@...> wrote:

      >On Tue, 13 Apr 2010, Jason H. wrote:
      >

      >> --- On Mon, 4/5/10, Gene Buckle <geneb@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> From: Gene Buckle <geneb@...>
      >> I'd rather get my dick caught in a bear trap than give godaddy a dime. :)
      >>
      >> I suspect my spam filter caught the notices for one reason or another.

      >> g.
      >> -------------------
      >>

      >> hehe thats how i feel about netsol. godaddy isnt so bad, but i hate how they keep changing their interface. takes forever to set up a domain with all that flash crap
      >
      >I only have one domain through Network Solutions, but that was back in
      >1994 when they were the only game in town. :)
      >
      >g.

      One of the sleazy things about Network Solutions is that last I
      checked (a few months or quarters ago) they were still trying to
      charge up-front their traditional $35 or so per year per domain, BUT,
      if asked or insisted, they would give a $9.99 (or so) price. In other
      words, they had made it their policy that they would drive you to the
      point of leaving, but then be happy to give you the industry-standard
      competitive pricing.

      I tried to post this point at DNS Forums, a year or so ago, but never
      was allowed to post properly. I gave up.

      Anyway, for all I know, this is common knowledge, but in case it's
      not, I'm mentioning it. I have the number written down:

      877-307-1435, press option 2

      but I don't know if this was of any significance or whether it would
      still work.

      Spam filters: if you use them on purpose, you miss important emails,
      eventually. I have never used one on purpose.

      BBS: I agree with the comment made that pointing out the BBS-like
      qualities of the interesting program presented is not an insult to
      that program.
    • murdoch
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 15 10:59 AM
        <geneb@...> wrote:

        >On Tue, 13 Apr 2010, Jason H. wrote:
        >

        >> --- On Mon, 4/5/10, Gene Buckle <geneb@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> From: Gene Buckle <geneb@...>
        >> I'd rather get my dick caught in a bear trap than give godaddy a dime. :)
        >>
        >> I suspect my spam filter caught the notices for one reason or another.

        >> g.
        >> -------------------
        >>

        >> hehe thats how i feel about netsol. godaddy isnt so bad, but i hate how they keep changing their interface. takes forever to set up a domain with all that flash crap
        >
        >I only have one domain through Network Solutions, but that was back in
        >1994 when they were the only game in town. :)
        >
        >g.

        One of the sleazy things about Network Solutions is that last I
        checked (a few months or quarters ago) they were still trying to
        charge up-front their traditional $35 or so per year per domain, BUT,
        if asked or insisted, they would give a $9.99 (or so) price. In other
        words, they had made it their policy that they would drive you to the
        point of leaving, but then be happy to give you the industry-standard
        competitive pricing.

        I tried to post this point at DNS Forums, a year or so ago, but never
        was allowed to post properly. I gave up.

        Anyway, for all I know, this is common knowledge, but in case it's
        not, I'm mentioning it. I have the number written down:

        877-307-1435, press option 2

        but I don't know if this was of any significance or whether it would
        still work.

        Spam filters: if you use them on purpose, you miss important emails,
        eventually. I have never used one on purpose.

        BBS: I agree with the comment made that pointing out the BBS-like
        qualities of the interesting program presented is not an insult to
        that program.
      • dmccunney
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 18 10:20 AM
          On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 1:59 PM, murdoch <murdoch@...> wrote:
          > Spam filters: if you use them on purpose, you miss important emails,
          > eventually.  I have never used one on purpose.

          I *do* use spam filters, and don't see the issue.

          Back when I got mail through POP from my ISP, I used Outlook for
          email, and installed an open source package called Spambayes, from
          http://spambayes.sourceforge.org

          Spambayes is cross platform, written in Python. If you use Outlook,
          it installs as a plugin, but can be set up as a proxy server if you
          use a different email client. As the name implies, Spambayes uses
          Bayesian filtering, building a database of spam characteristics and
          classifying mail against it. the easiest way to use it is to create a
          couple of Outlook folders before installing, one containing known good
          email and the other containing spam, with about 50 examples of each.

          As new spam arrives, you classify it, and Spambayes updates the
          database. It's extremely effective. I never saw it make a mistake on
          mail it was sure was spam, and saw only a handful of false positives
          on mail it wasn't sure about.

          These days, I use GMail as my primary account, and GMail checks my
          other accounts, so all mail appears under it. (You can set Gmail to
          have replies to mail from other accounts appear to come from the
          account the mail was sent to, so GMail doesn't appear in the loop, and
          I do so.) GMail also uses Bayesian filtering, but its database is
          made up from the Spam reports of *all* Gmail users. GMail's spam
          filtering is the best I've seen. There are occasional false
          positives, but very few. Mail flagged as Spam appears under teh Spam
          label, and I check it daily, reclassify the occasional mistake, and
          delete the spam.

          The only way I would truly lose mail was to not check the Spam label
          for longer than 30 days, at which point GMail would automatically
          delete anything in Spam.
          _____
          Dennis

          _____