Re: [7x10minilathe] love the new lathe!! need tooling suggestions. see list so far.....

  • Michael C Taglieri
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30 11:08 PM
      You can use hardware stuff, but the most useful thing that I've found for
      clamping things on the faceplate is the clamping kit for the minimill
      (which is sold by LittleMachineShop, among other places). The small and
      middle-size clamps are the most useful, but the big ones can also be used
      as spacers or counterweights. For some faceplate jobs, the bolts in the
      clamping kit aren't short enough, but the threads are 3/8"-16, so you can
      just get some 3/8" threaded rod and cut it with your parting tool to make
      shorter bolts. Another useful thing is a set of 1-2-3 blocks, $10 or so
      from Enco or similar discount place. These are metal blocks full of
      holes that are also threaded 3/8"-16, and with them in combination with
      the clamping kit (plus random bolts, etc.) you can do a lot of faceplate
      setups.

      Remember that setups on a milling table don't have to stand up to being
      whirled around. After I set up something on the faceplate, I rotate it
      to be sure nothing hits, then I use hot-melt glue, Crazy Glue, and
      sometimes duct tape to make sure nothing can possibly come loose on me.

      Mike Taglieri -- miket-nyc@...